Leaking overflow pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

New on here but looking for some advice.

We have a leaking overflow pipe outside our flat.

We have checked our toilet, water tank etc and they appear fine (we have a cold tank with a hot water tank on an economy 7 electric timer underneath in the airing cupboard).We were also away on the weekend and checked our meter before and after and it hadn't moved at all so I'm assuming this is not our overflow pipe? Are we right in assuming that? We are getting on average a bucket of water a day from it so I'm assuming our meter would be moving if it was ours?

This means we have no idea which one of the neighbours it belongs to. It has been leaking on and off for a few weeks now and is wetting the wall. Tried putting notes through everyone's door without any luck at the moment. It did stop for a day but has started up again now.

Sponsored Links
Do you have a residents association / management company who deal with any communal parts of the property?
They should be able to deal with the neighbour if you are getting no response. It might be that the place is empty, in which case you need to get access to prevent the situation developing until it damages your property!

Post some photos showing the exterior layout and indicating your flat.

We have a management company who have said they would send letters to residents but there's nothing else they can do. We managed to speak to a number of neighbour yesterday who all said they would check their toilets etc so will keep chasing.

But am I right in assuming it's not mine if our meter isn't moving at all when we're out etc?

Sponsored Links
you could report it to your local water board, they may send a letter to all your neighbours telling them they must fix the issue.They are only normally concerned and take action on 2 things, contamination and waste of water.

thats assuming its not a condense pipe off a modern boiler?

If you deliberately cause your toilet and cistern to overflow by holding down the ballcock, you'll find out whether it's yours or not.

All sorted. Water board came and did some enquiries and managed to identify the property

It was my downstairs neighbours water tank. He happened to be home at the time so they informed him. He was good and get a plumber out within a day, probably because he is on a water meter and losing around 2 buckets of water a day!

It was my downstairs neighbours water tank. He happened to be home at the time so they informed him. He was good and get a plumber out within a day, probably because he is on a water meter and losing around 2 buckets of water a day!

God bless metered water eh?
That's one benefit of them :D:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back