Leaking radiator valve - temporary bodging advice needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due I think to an overenthusiastic game of hide and seek, one of our radiators has developed a leak. It's on the lockshield valve side and appears to be from where the microbore pipe goes into the valve.

I've had a bad experience with microbore in the past so have gone straight for a plumber, but he can't do anything for a couple of days, during which time our carpet is gradually getting soaked despite the valve being wrapped in towels.

So, I would welcome suggestions of ways to seal the leak before the professional can deal with it. It's worse when the heating is on but still leaks when it's off.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If it from where the pipe enters the bottom of the valve there is no way to stop it leaking other than doing it properly.

The join needs to be remade.

But you could try tightening the nut slightly but risk making it worse.

AS Tay says, only way to stop it is to fix it.

You could get a radiator draining kit and that way you may at least be able to catch the water and not have a soaked carpet. If you are continually topping up the CH then don't forget inhibitor when it's fixed.

shopping
http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk/produc...-p581186-44/?gclid=CJbqm4CKy8oCFaMSwwodqGwCtQ

Pretty much as above, no way of sealing it up with sealants or anything like that.

A tighten up might be all thats needed, however there is the chance that a tighten up may be on too far and snap the pipe off completley (I've done it) Its best being drained and taken apart, checked and remade correctly.

Only other adivice if your not able to DIY it is to try get a different pumber who can get there quicker. (bad time of year for it unfortunetly)

Sponsored Links
I changed another rad valve yesterday where the joint had been seriously over tightened and had badly nicked the copper tube. I have to say about half of those I see have been over tightened.

If its a reducing set that is leaking I often just solder the whole lot together! In most cases they are ages old and have already been over tightened and deformed.

Tony

Thanks all. At least I might be able to pay for the job by selling the mushrooms that are likely to start sprouting from the carpet soon!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back