Leaking radiator valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leak round the spindle of a rad valve, which stops if I turn it off.
It is a Belmont (at least 30 years old). Can I replace the o-ring without draining down? I would be grateful for information how to do it.
John

Sponsored Links
Yes you can replace it without draining it down.
To find out what o ring you need take the plastic head off the valve to a plumbers merchant before you begin the work.

On the old valves i think the rings are green.new ones are red
Wrap a towel around the valve body and undo the spindle {left hand thread}
A little bit of water might leak out at first but as you continue to remove spindle the water pressure will seal the valve.

2 o rings are housed in grooves in the spindle.prise off the rings using a tip of a screwdriver ,lubricate the spindle with a smear of silicone grease.slide new rings into position and replace the spindle.

as lightning says.
but you've got to be brave to try it & be prepared if a problem was to occur.
belmonts were the rolls royce of rad valves of their time costing five times the price of any other.

Sponsored Links
something I used to do was to loosen the packing nut and cut a loop or two of cord insert it and re-tighten the packing nut, this will compress the original packing more and will work if the valve is not too worn

Thanks for your comments.
When you say undo spindle LH thread, do you mean open tap and keep going (i.e. turn actual spindle), or do you mean undo the nut round the spindle?
Is the nut LH thread?
Does the actual spindle(i.e the rod that the plastic cover fits on) actually come out?
Thanks, John

Sorry if the last post is confused, but I would appreciate any clarification.
Thanks, John

yes, nut normal thread ,undo anticlockwise and take off ,no water . spindle lefthand thread undo clockwise and remove slight water use towels and baking tray, a spring loaded valve will stop most of water as spindle is removed swop o rings with same colour red or green and replace everything in reverse

Sorry to be thick about this, but if spindle is LH thread, does this mean that if you turn off hard the spindle will come out?
How do you tighten it up again without turning on the radiator?
Thanks for taking the trouble to answer daft questions,
John

under normal use the nut stops the spindle coming out , when changing the o rings removing the nut allows the spindle to be withdrawn it may sound like witchcraft but it does work , 5 min job .just need right colour o rings

its a bit scary first time you do it, but they are the best valves well worth repairing.

something I used to do was to loosen the packing nut and cut a loop or two of cord insert it and re-tighten the packing nut, this will compress the original packing more and will work if the valve is not too worn

Not on a Belmont valve.

Ye gods, Plumb Center charge £1.86 + VAT each for the replacement o-rings. :eek: That means I must have over £100 worth in my van. :p Best go and double check the alarm. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back