Leaking roof lead on back apron of chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello DIYnot, I'm new to posting on this forum but I've used it's advice many times in sticky situations in the past.
My skills, I wouldn't say I was a "black belt" in DIY but maybe a "Silver" (I've got and use regularly nearly all power tools known to man and am not scared to go it alone).

But this one has me a little nervous.

I've been on my roof (standard two storey house) a couple of times (fixing up pigeon spikes on my ridge line and playing with my ariel) but now I have a leak at the back of my chimney in the "back apron" area. I've just been up there and taken a few pictures.

I've watched a few of the utube videos on making up your own lead apron.

But access is an issue, my ladder (6.1m) is a little "iffy" as I'm on the third from last rung just to get near it and have to reach precariously round the chimney to get up there.

Not sure weather to go for the diy repair or get someone in (never my preferred option).
I've seen quotes starting at £150 for these sorts of issues, do you recommend leaving it for someone else to break there neck, or given the picys, think it's an easy job were I to hire some sscaffolding or something?

Any advice greatly received.
Lee

Sponsored Links
You, or someone else needs to determine what is actually wrong. There is some pointing missing, but apart from that its hard to say from the images

Then, is it a repair or a replacement?

If someone is going to do it for you, then they need to be experienced in leadwork, not just any old roofer. A new back gutter may need to be made down on the ground and welded at the side returns, and not have the crap beat out of it by a numpty roofer on the roof.

And if the back gutter has aged, then what about the rest of the lead at the same time

your pushing your luck with the ladder maxed out like that.

best plan of attack is get a new back gutter knocked up on the ground by a proffesional . Rip out the old one (looks iffy anyway) drop in the new, point the flashing in lead mastic rather than muck.. job done..live happily ever after..
repair= waste of time

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your responses woody and datarebal, I think your right, I am pushing my luck on that ladder!

I'm pretty sure I could have a good go at making up a new gutter in my workshop, but getting the old one out and putting the new one in safely is going to be a problem.

I think I'll get some quotes....

Thanks
Again.

I'll post some pictures of the finished job when its done.

The more I look into it the more I think I'll get a professional to make it.
I might have a go anyway (not for the real job) just to see if it really is one of those cases where they "make it look easy" (like plastering)!

The more I look into it the more I think I'll get a professional to make it.
I might have a go anyway (not for the real job) just to see if it really is one of those cases where they "make it look easy" (like plastering)!
There used to be a guy posting here that made bespoke lead items @ his workshop and couriered them to you . the necessary dimensions could be written on a fag packet + the angle of the roof ;) - worth a google :idea: . Nothing to stop you dressing some lead yourself - use some code 5 and plastic dresser and bossing stick . Do a front apron first

Good shout, found this place making them for £50 ish, don't know if it's the guy you mention.

http://justlead.co.uk/back-gutter.html

Just been back up there measuring the angle of the roof, the width of the chimney and depth of the horzontal flat bit.

I'll order it up and then think about how I get it up there.

Existing gutter looks like code 3 to me, your stack needs pointing as well. You're off your head on that ladder. Get someone in to do the stack and the lead. Be the best 3-400 quid you'll ever spend.

We only install code 8 now........
Want to walk away from a job knowing I'll never be called back.......
I'm only 31 ;)

Looking at that video again, I think I must be a little, "anti-risk averse".
Company I've approached to make the gutter is doing it in code 4, haven't properly ordered it yet (not paid, £89 inc delivery). Do you think I should ask for it in code 8? Or...

hardmetalking, I notice your in Cambridgeshire, not far from me (Milton Keynes), are you interested in the job? (not sure if am aloud to ask that on this forum)

Code 8 is ridiculous for this installation. It will cost you twice as much and add unnecessary weight to your roof.
The Lead Sheet Association recommend code 4 or 5 for a backgutter and if fitted correctly will last a lifetime.
I recommend you get a qualified leadworker to carry out this work on site, not order one off the internet as there is too much room for error on your part and they will not refund you if you get any measurement or degrees incorrect.
The step flashing needs re-doing and soakers installing to by the way.

Kind Regards,

Mark.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back