leaking roof, would like your input

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This pitched roof was done on 6/2011 at a cost of $4500, about 1100 sq' in Philadelphia, PA. Last week, there was a leak about 8 feet away from the corner shown in the pictures.

The same roofing company was contacted, and an estimate of $450 was given to repair the gutter. The corner area and the gutter were cited as to the cause of the leak.

Is there some other problem which may be causing this leak?

Thanks for your time.

Bob

Sponsored Links
Looks like the original flashing was just masticed to the wall and has fell down. How can they charge you for that? Shingles also look like they have been overlayed on existing as well.

Looks like the original flashing was just masticed to the wall and has fell down. How can they charge you for that? Shingles also look like they have been overlayed on existing as well.

Thanks for responding!

Wouldn't installing new flashing be a part of the job? Is this guy just cutting corners? wtf?

Thanks for responding!

Wouldn't installing new flashing be a part of the job? Is this guy just cutting corners? wtf?

Flashing should have been part of the original work, surely its under guarantee?

Sponsored Links
The shingles should be on top of the flashing no?

I was thinking similarly when I saw it; I thought the flashing is kind of interwoven with the shingles. I don't see how they could have installed new flashing with the old flashing still there.

1. the abutment is clad in metal or vinyl, and the flashing in that type of design would have an upstand going up behind the cladding.
The flashing might originally have been in say 5ft lengths, or as individual soakers - one soaker per shingle.

2. Why was remedial work required?

3. You also have a problem with the two vent terminals near the ridge - the gas terminal should be 2ft min. above the abutment ht.

4. I cant make out what the other terminal is venting, but it too should be well proud of the abutment height.

5. A third thing to consider is wether those two vents should even be in such proximity to each other.

Note: the shingle application pattern is wrong, and might lead to leaks, esp. with a heavy snow melt.

1. the abutment is clad in metal or vinyl, and the flashing in that type of design would have an upstand going up behind the cladding.
The flashing might originally have been in say 5ft lengths, or as individual soakers - one soaker per shingle.;

I'm not sure what you said, but think none of it could have been newly done until he removed the old flashing first

2. Why was remedial work required?

Initially the "new roof" was put on because the roof was leaking in about 5 different areas of the 2nd floor -- the cowboy callback was done because there was a single leak 8' away from the end I photographed

3. You also have a problem with the two vent terminals near the ridge - the gas terminal should be 2ft min. above the abutment ht.

4. I cant make out what the other terminal is venting, but it too should be well proud of the abutment height.

5. A third thing to consider is wether those two vents should even be in such proximity to each other.

One of those terminals belongs to a neighbor, whose house is a mirror image layout. Maybe it was code at the time it was built?

Note: the shingle application pattern is wrong, and might lead to leaks, esp. with a heavy snow melt.

Now that I look at it, you're right; they're not staggered enough, or at all in some spots?

Also, some of those shingles closer to the ridge look kind of original, I need to set camera to a better resolution.

Thanks for your reply!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back