leaking scale inhibitor - how much to repair and replace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all,

Just had a emergency plumber to investigate a water leak and found that our combi-boiler scale inhibitor was leaking at the bolt area. The combi-boiler is about 9 years old. We suspect the leak could have been going on for several weeks without us noticing, only emergred as resident living below our flat reported to the Housing Association.

It could be the reason also, why we have been having 'boiler lockdown' sign in our combi boiler, a Ferroli Modena 80E, for the last couple of weeks. Can this be atrributed to this.

Could anyone tell me how much would I expect to pay and does the engineer need to do anything else. I live in London.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Dont think it should cost any thing

Poor bloke has only had to come out on a Sunday ...

Did you not ask before agreeing to him coming out what the cost would be for a call out

Did you not ask before agreeing to him coming out what the cost would be for a call out

He only comes out for emergecy plumbing, as he was called by downstairs neighbour. As this to do with gas, he is not qualified to touch or repair it. He just identified where the leak was coming from. Now I have to find someone to replace it.

Call it a radical far-out suggestion, but try calling a plumber and asking. This site is supposed to help DIYers.

Sponsored Links
Tibbot";p="2314245 said:
Call it a radical far-out suggestion, but try calling a plumber and asking. This site is supposed to help DIYers.[/quote

yes, I could call the plumbers, they might miss out some checks that they should do. There are experianced trade people here who could advise me. If you can't answer it, why bother replying.

Is it a green inline one about an inch round 9 inches long these are the usual ones to leak,
if so easy enough to change as it is push fit so i would say they would prob charge you an hour labour and 30 quid ish for the bit.

But other types may need cutting out so will take longer

yes, I could call the plumbers, they might miss out some checks that they should do. There are experianced trade people here who could advise me.

Regardless of experience, no-one can price your job over the web. Any prices hinted here will be irrelevant to the person you call to do the job.

Try ringing one and telling them what they should do and at what cost (as you've been advised on-line) and see the response.

He only comes out for emergecy plumbing, as he was called by downstairs neighbour. As this to do with gas, he is not qualified to touch or repair it. He just identified where the leak was coming from. Now I have to find someone to replace it.

I Think you will find that this has got nothing to do with the gas and is from the water side of things ......... If its a council property why are you worried about the cost??

Is it a green inline one about an inch round 9 inches long these are the usual ones to leak,
if so easy enough to change as it is push fit so i would say they would prob charge you an hour labour and 30 quid ish for the bit.

But other types may need cutting out so will take longer

Thanks for the reply. Justcut at the back of kitchin cubboard and found it's 'Liff Limefighter inline'. I preseme I don't have to call a Gas engineer to replace that, as a plumber can do that, although it's fittned to cobmi-boiler pipes. It's about 9 years old.

Just to update the story.

Had a plummer around and he replaced the limefighter but after turning on the water supply few minitues later, it started to leak so called him again and came round the next to tighten the bolt.

That only lasted for a day or two and now started to leak again from the tape of limefighter, which he used to give extra seal.

He is going to visit tomorrow.

Not sure if the boiler is causing the limefighter to be damaged within days. Can anyone help?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back