Leaking sealant around cutout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a look at my parents cutout while i was grabbing some stuff from the cupboard and noticed the sealant was leaking onto the pipework beneath it, is it worth ringing up the DNO to get the cutout sorted as its still the original 1930's one?

Sponsored Links
Absoloutely. If the cutout is leaking pitch, it's usually a sign of overheating, and should be checked out by your DNO without delay.

Cheers, i'll give them a ring in the morning but is there anything special i could mention that will make them come out quicker? ;)

Sponsored Links
Old cut-outs can start leaking compound without there being any overheating, if it's an older one it can just be the effect of load current being towards the top of their current.

Just tell them you are concerened that you have noiticed your cutout is leaking a black sticky liquid.

And sizzling. ;)

That'll get 'em running. ;)

Seriously, there shouldn't be any need to lie. Just tell them what you see and ask them to eyeball it just to be on the safe side.

They will come quite quickly, but will be more excited if it is hot than if it is cold.

If you have time to put a new 10mm green and yellow earth wire to the CU or earth block they will connect that. If there is just an undersized bit of old bare copper it will get re-used.

New cutout fitted, but was a bit scary when they're using a blow torch to melt all the old pitch off the cables about 2 feet from the gas meter, they didn't upgrade it to PME (currently TT) but the cutout has space for it so i'd imagine it'll be ready for it should they decide to upgrade the earthing on our street

They will come quite quickly, but will be more excited if it is hot than if it is cold.

If you have time to put a new 10mm green and yellow earth wire to the CU or earth block they will connect that. If there is just an undersized bit of old bare copper it will get re-used.

Not 16?

oh yes.

(unless various things which I actually didn't have in mind at 5am)

From the dates given in the O/P the cable will no doubt be a 2c .0225 or smaller!!
.0225 is the equivalent of 16mm2, 1/2 of that is 8mm2 so a 10mm2 earth would be fine.

(yes, that was one of the various things ;)

but actually it was a mistake.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back