Leaking shower screen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed a 4 fold shower screen over my bath edge.
Water comes down the glass screen panels then passes through/over/around etc the rotating plastic gears that allow the screen to fold away etc.
When outside the bath & shower is running you see a puddle starting to form above the seal that sandwiches between the bottom of the screen & bath. Then you see water passing the gears, puddle getting bigger untill over the bath edge it goes & all over the floor. I've contacted the people I bought it from "Better Bathrooms" who's technical department said to just put some Silicone grease on the gears.
Is this a proper technical reply for a solution or just lame excuse that might seal it ?

Please advise your thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_2613.JPG
    IMG_2613.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 897
Sponsored Links
Have fitted the rubber seal to the screen?
The seal should be pulled right through the four panels and through the end gear/pivot and tied in. Silicone grease on the gearing, is not going to help much. Make sure the screen is sat middle of the bath rim and tight enough to prevent water ingress but allowance for screen movement. If the bath is not sat within a tolerance of level, you will have issues.

Never liked theme type of multi pivot shower screens,espically the low end budget products.anyway :idea:

If I remember,some these come fully assembled with bottom seal already in place so the installer just needs to attach to wall.

The bottom rubber seal looks like it to close to bath edge and under compression so could be affecting the alignment of the pivot joint,these seals just need to brush and slightly deflect against the bath top rim to seal.

How many of the pivot joints leak water ? if its just the 1 and you have tested the other 2 with same method,then do as their tech people said use decent grease ie regin regz40

I have fitted some of these similar screens and they don't mention being suitable for power/mains pressure showering so just a screen for water splashing off body.

If the silicone grease don't fix it,again let them know its defective and have it returned for a refund. I would look at buying a replacement from coram or a pivot screen that is supplied with a drip strip which is attached to the bath,victoria plumb sell these.

good luck

The rubber seal has been fitted,see photo supplied.
This screen cost me £128,not sure if you think that is cheap / expensive end of market ?
Arrived fully assembled with seal in place but as i seen a kink in it i purchased a new seal and fitted it but same happens.
I believe the seal is ok but do agree with your comment but as the item has now been drilled etc it needs to stay where it is,having said that the 3 panels from the wall out we keep Where it is on the bath,we only rotate/use the last panel.
I would say at least 2 but maybe 3 leak due to being away from the wall so panel 4,3 & 2,1 being the first panel where its fixed.
Tried a small amount of vasalene on the gears but still the same,reason being its passing above/below the gears as opposed to through them.
I can see a small gap where i have mentioned.
Would you mind showing me a couple of links etc from suppliers you mention so i know i am then looking at the same item.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Coram product. http://www.coram.co.uk/product/four-panel-folding-bath-screens/
install instructions. http://www.coram.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/00-70895-00-Multi-panel-bathscreen.pdf

Victoria plumb product. https://victoriaplum.com/product/clarity-folding-4-panel-straight-shower-bath-screen-white-fscreen03
install instructions. cant link it but from above page scroll down to downloads."installation guide"

Apart from design & build differences the coran unit is designed so the seal just sits inside the bath.see figure 2 A.
The Victoria plumb product has an additional part included being a drip seal (11).

I suppose the instructions you got with your screen are rather rubbish this often leads to confusion but an experienced installer would already know how to fit this.
Sorry to say You may have to relocate the shower screen so that the seal sits just inside the bath (Coram figure 2 A) so any water that collects around the pivots will drain into the bath.Looking at the pivots I think they will never be water tight or maybe not designed to be.

good luck :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks i will take a look in the morning.
With the instructions not even being sent it was easy to work out how to install it.
Either was fitted correct or not the water still passes the grears.

I think a design fault is here.

Thanks

May I ask have you fitted this to a bath where the top you sat it on is flat, or did you buy a specific bath with a shower screen recess???

We had the same issues but with the point where the bottom seal met the hinge we got rid of the bath and fitted one that was specifically for shower screens. Never had the issue since

Top of bath is flat,problem isnt water getting under the seal.
The problem is water is passing where the 2 gears mesh for folding screen.
Then water runs down over the seal.

Then on the floor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back