Leaking stop tap

M

marsaday

I have the old lead pipe coming into the house with the stop tap on it. It then goes into 15mm copper and i have put a new stop tap on this, but i think the lower nut is weeping and i cannot seem to stop the leak no matter how hard i tighten the nut up.

So would you recommend i use a speedfit stop tap, or would you solder on a new length of copper pipe and then put the stop tap onto this newer section of pipe ?

Sponsored Links
Try ptfe tape or some plumbers mate on the compression. Also check the nut is not damaged and the olive is not twisted.

I have the old lead pipe coming into the house with the stop tap on it. It then goes into 15mm copper and i have put a new stop tap on this, but i think the lower nut is weeping and i cannot seem to stop the leak no matter how hard i tighten the nut up.

So would you recommend i use a speedfit stop tap, or would you solder on a new length of copper pipe and then put the stop tap onto this newer section of pipe ?

As PrenticeBoyofDerry said you may have damaged the olive. When doing up compression fittings over tightening is one way to get a leak!
Generally you should do the nut up until all slack is taken up, then its a bit more than a half turn to complete.

Prestex used to have a video, I will link if I can find it again

Edit: http://pegleryorkshire.co.uk/EN/VideosAndTraining/Videos watch the Kuterlite video

Sponsored Links
Thanks for video link. I got some tape on it today and it looks to have done the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back