Leaking toilet cistern - This one is driving me mad!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been trying to get this fixed for weeks now, and I am no closer. Everything I try fails. I need help!

I'm new to plumbing (and I'm a semi-competent DIYer).

The toilet cistern is an old style Sanitan toilet

2015-06-19 22.01.59.jpg

The problem is that it has always had a slow leak coming from the cistern. It wasn't a bad leak, but it meant the pipe was always damp and there was a small pool of water on the bathroom floor - which has warped the wood.

I fixed the original leak by putting some plumbers putty on the inside of the cistern. It was really my only choice as I couldn't get parts.

The problem is that now it doesn't leak from the cistern, but it leaks from the pipe - but only when it is flushed!

2015-06-19 22.01.25.jpg

I have inserted the rubber ring and tightened as much as I can but it still leaks when flushed. Why would that be? What can I try next?

Many thanks for any ideas or help. I am tearing my hair out.

Sponsored Links
Syphon tail looks a bit short to me. Does the round nut meet the hexagonal, preventing the rubber washer being fully compressed? Also, viewed from the side are the syphon and flush pipe in accurate
alignment?

New washers, careful alignment and tightening should see you right.

Lovely looking cistern, bet you get a decent flush!

Have you looked to see if there is a fracture anywhere? This has caught me out on a few occasions over the years

Bod.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks. The comment from PolesApart solved it. The round nut was stopping against the hexagonal so wasn't compressing the washer.

I sorted it by removing a little sealant inside, so the tail was slightly longer and now the round nut tightens all the way. Drip fixed and all works perfectly. What a relief.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back