Leaking toilet syphon

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

There is a slight leak from my cistern into the toilet bowl. It's not much, just enough to cause small ripples on the surface of the water, and nothing leaking externally. Fortunately, we do not have a water meter, but I'd like to sort it out if I can.

The picture shows the syphon. If I move the cylindrical part in the middle (which I think is also the overflow into the toilet bowl) from side to side, the leak increases a little so I suppose that it may not be seating properly.

Is there any way I can sort this problem easily without removing the whole cistern from the bowl? Is it just a matter of removing and cleaning the cylindrical part, and is this easy to do?

I'd be very grateful for any help and advice.

Edit: I've just come to the conclusion that it's not a syphon, but some sort of valve. Sorry!

Sponsored Links
Thank you for that.

I presume, though, that this would require the complete removal of the cistern? I was hoping to just replace, or even re-seat, the cylindrical part of the existing valve. Is it possible to remove this valve (from above) without having to remove the entire assembly?

Grip the flush valve and turn anti clock wise, it should unclip and then you can pull it out. On the bottom will be a rubber washer which will be scaled up, you can try and clean it but 9 times out of 10 you will need a new washer. You will then need to buy a new washer and that's when the fun starts as there are loads of different types.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Thank again for your help. I'll give that a try.

As for the video, I'd really prefer to avoid having to remove the cistern, if I can.

To replace the flush valve (it isn't a syphon) you have no option but to remove the cistern. You may need to replace the rubber donut washer in the process.

Forget syphons and flush valves, fit a Fluidmaster flapper valve. Little to go wrong, simplicity itself to repair IF it does. Dual flush capable.

pro72uk_flapperflushvalvekit_240.png

As Charnwood has said, "bite the bullet" fit a flapper valve and you can then forget about any problems in the future,

They take a bit of getting used to, especially the long flush, but are simplicity in their workings.

Fit a new syphon and float valve, I normally change them within 20 mins.
:eek: fiddle me, im slow then?

Its a drop valve by the way and the cistern looks siliconed to the wall and the connecting bolts are bodged and hope they are stainless steel! 20mins oh well :rolleyes: don't forget the coffee and donut. ;)

Fit a new syphon and float valve, I normally change them within 20 mins.
:eek: fiddle me, im slow then?

Its a drop valve by the way and the cistern looks siliconed to the wall and the connecting bolts are bodged and hope they are stainless steel! 20mins oh well :rolleyes: don't forget the coffee and donut. ;)

That's what worries me!

I had a go at sorting this out this evening. I removed the valve assembly by turning anticlockwise slightly, as suggested. Both upper and lower washers appeared clean, but I gave them a wipe anyway. I then noticed that the upper washer had a couple of small 'lumps' which I managed to remove with a sharp craft knife. I've put it all back together again and the leak has stopped.

I realise that you professionals would have removed the cistern and replaced the whole valve unit, but I took the easier option!

Anyway, I'd just like to thank you all for your advice.

For anyone else reading this thread.

Before following this procedure first check that the problem is not just caused by a leaking filling valve or one that is set too high.

I try and avoid working on those as I prefer boilers but most that I see leaking are caused by the water levels being too high rather than the flush valve leaking .

Tony

This occurred to me too, but the water level was a good inch below the overflow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back