Leaking Towel Radiator Valve - Unvented

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I turned off the towel rad valves to cool it and rubbed it down and painted in Hammerite Radiator paint. Looking good I thought. Then I noticed a dirty little puddle by the valve on my nice new shiny bathroom floor. Water was leaking from the top of the valve. All the nuts were tight and given the colour of the water the valve probably has some corrosion. Turned it all back on again to see if it got worse and the slight leak stopped once water was flowing and its dry as a bone this morning. I guess pressure released once water flowing.

I could call BG as per my contract and as I've already called them for another fault there is not any no claims to lose. But I know that if I turn the main stop cock off all pressure in the system drops and I can remove both valves, replace without draining the hot water system. One valve at a time I would replace both.... no point in doing one as both are the same age. Happy to give it a go and having done this before on a heating system rad with no spillage apart from a few drops from a carefully emptied rad. Can anyone please advise if this is safe on the towel rad which is of course fed from the hot water cylinder on my unvented system ? When I changed the basin tap ISO there was no pressure once main stopcock turned off so I assume this would be the same.

Sponsored Links
Happy to give it a go and having done this before on a heating system rad with no spillage apart from a few drops from a carefully emptied rad.
It's the same procedure, exactly the same as if it was a radiator.
Switch off the boiler, release some water via one side of the towel radiator or via the bleed screw until the pressure shows as zero.
Close both valves fully.
Remove towel rail, drain the water out.
Remove and replace ONE valve at a time, some water may spill from the pipework but it should be minimal as the rest of the system is sealed.

the towel rad which is of course fed from the hot water cylinder on my unvented system
It is not fed from the hot water cylinder. It may be arranged to heat up at the same time as your hot water, but the water inside is a sealed circuit, just as with any other radiator.

Thanks flameport. I learn something every time I post here. I thought the towel rad was connected to the hot water system as its nearly aways hot even when the heating is off. I must read up a bit more.

Appreciate the advice as well (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back