Leaking UPVC Front Door...help please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there,

Was after some help please.

Woke up this morning to find water is seeping in under our front door. It seems to coming across the width of the door frame.

I opened the door, and the sill (cill - God knows how its spelt..lol) is full of water. Should this be?

The water doesn't seem to coming in between the door seal and the frame on the inside, so I was wondering if its getting in somehow from the outside and sitting in the sill, then leaking through somewhere on there.

Does this sound plausable to someone in the know..??

Thanks in advance!!.

Sponsored Links
As its a front door I'll take it as opening in? so the frame will have a lip towards the front and flat towards the back, hence water coming in, you'll need to dig out the drainage slots to allow the water to drain away freely, you should be able to see them in the corner part of the profile, a good dig out with a piece of wire should clear them. Also does your door have a weather bar fitted?

All PVC frames let in water, thats why drainage channels are routed in the frames.

It does open inwards yeah.... apologies, but what do you mean by a weather bar..?

I have also just noticed that there is no sealant on the inside of the door frame between frame and door..... should there be?

An extra bit of plastic, like a drip bead on the face of the door, outside at the bottom, there to shed water off the door and over the theshold.

If you mean a black rubber bubble/flipper gasket or black 'Q-lon' vinyl plastic gasket like a draught excluder then yes.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, the door does have a weather bar..

Think I may have found the problem. Looked at the outside, and found the sealant round the frame, is not sealing properly as it passes over the pointing of the brickwork. The cement is old and on each level of cement it would appear the sealant hasn''t gone into the groove properly and so I'm pretty sure with the rain and wind this is where the waters getting in and running down.

Fingers crossed with some re-pointing (to be fair the house is old and the whole lot could do with doing..:( ) and re-sealing problem will be solved.

Theres me banging on about plastic and it may well be a wooden/compsite/ali door!

Hope it sorts it out, if you can silicone I'd remove the selant, repoint the reveal and reseal when set.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back