Lean to - Utility Room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to build a smallish structure to the side of the house (3 bed semi) for appliances storeage etc. As cheap as possible.

Any thoughts as to the best method of construction?

Has anyone done similar?

Sponsored Links
I want to build a smallish structure for appliances storeage etc.

Can you elaborate?

Does this space need to be heated for instance?

Do you intend accessing the building from the main dwelling?

Most people reading your post will say why not build a shed.

Sponsored Links
It will be to the side of the house accessed from the house through the existing side door to the garden and act as a utility room.

I was thinking of an electric fan heater or something similar for heating.

I hadn't considered a shed as I wanted it more permanent. i suppose like a conservatory.

It will be to the side of the house accessed from the house through the existing side door to the garden and act as a utility room.

So not really a storage room, more like a utility room where you can do the clothes washing and drying etc?

This really is habitable space and would fall under reg's.

There is nowt stopping you building a conservatory type building as long as you maintain an external spec' door separating the main dwelling from this new building.

But why bother as it will be freezing cold and cost a daft amount to keep warm. Bite the bullet and build an extension where you can have the drains and electrics etc, signed off with peace of mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back