led downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am going to remove my two living room large light fittings and replace by 3 daylight LED downlighters at each place spaced out across the room width.

each of the existing light fittings are on their own switch via a twin switch at the doorway

i will want each switch to bring on one set of 3 LED lights

the size of the existing hole co-incidentally is 90mm which led me to think i would fit downlighters which require that opening size whatever wattage that may be

the room is 7M long by 3.6M wide

how should i wire each group, the central one has the existing LNE wiring in place in pvc white flexible cable

i see deals with lights in packs including led driver
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Recessed-L...26163&sr=8-11&keywords=led+downlights+ceiling
and
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p56467?table=no

please may i have advice

..edit....these look interestng

00042459_0.jpg

cheers
geof

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The two you have linked to are different.
For the Screwyfix one: Each set of 4 LED lights has a central driver (aka 'transformer'). So you will need to connect your existing LNE cables to the driver. The kit will include smaller cables that go from the driver to each light.

For the Toolystation ones, they are separate 230v LED lights that have the driver inside each light, so you need to connect the existing LNE cables to each light.
Look in the WIKI for "Wiring Lights in Parallel" in the lighting section.

The Wago connectors are one way of making the connections. But remember that you will need to put the connectors inside an enclosure (WAGO make suitable ones for this!)

The two you have linked to are different.
For the Screwyfix one: Each set of 4 LED lights has a central driver (aka 'transformer'). So you will need to connect your existing LNE cables to the driver. The kit will include smaller cables that go from the driver to each light.

For the Toolystation ones, they are separate 230v LED lights that have the driver inside each light, so you need to connect the existing LNE cables to each light.
Look in the WIKI for "Wiring Lights in Parallel" in the lighting section.

The Wago connectors are one way of making the connections. But remember that you will need to put the connectors inside an enclosure (WAGO make suitable ones for this!)

many many thanks
i have been getting lost googling all the lighting on offer
i understand better now the 'mechanics' of the two
toolystation is just around the corner virtually from my local wickes...i need some loft boards as well...so i can make that a decider for me...
as for the connectors i think i may just use the normal connectors...do they need some type of enclosure or taping up...i have self amalgamating tape??
my house is a bungalow so i may be able to access the wiring from the loft...
i thought i would snake the wires from the central existing 90mm hole along to each newly cut 90mm hole for the 230v fittings
will check the wiring parallel site for clarification...

thanks again Mr T...much obliged
cheers
geof

Sponsored Links
ae235
One of these Wago boxes as TTC suggested

or one of these
ae235

thanks Chivers
i will have to connect from the existing central light position outwards in each direction to reach the extra lighting positions...
they will be 4 feet from the middle, making 8 feet between the outer ones

i had planned to wire the outers to the inner as there is wiring there which goes to the switches
which seems i will have 3 liven neutrals, and earths all meeting at the central fitting

live.jpg

i am going to remove my two living room large light fittings and replace by 3 daylight LED downlighters at each place
Why 3 times as many lights as before?

Could that perhaps be because the new ones aren't actually any good at lighting up rooms, so you need a sledgehammer fix of putting in 3 times as many as you have now?

i am going to remove my two living room large light fittings and replace by 3 daylight LED downlighters at each place

Could that perhaps be because the new ones aren't actually any good at lighting up rooms, so you need a sledgehammer fix of putting in 3 times as many as you have now?

Why have 2 decent output lamps when 6 unsuitable lamps can be fitted ?!:ROFLMAO:

Why have 2 decent output lamps when 6 unsuitable lamps can be fitted ?!:ROFLMAO:

you fellows are a joy to behold
our present 2 lights hang down around 30cm...a sort of pendant fitting with 3 bulbs of 42W giving around 210 watts of warm lighting via frosted glass uplighter type shades....
the ceiling height is 7 feet...its an old bungalow
i suggested ceiling lights to take the light source to ceiling height, my calculations give me a required wattage of around 410 watts, giving 70 watts per incandescent lamp...and i calculate 8-12 watts per unit...
i want a good spread of light across the room and end to end
not much daylight gets into the room as it is so i am using daylight lighting
3X 8W led's spaced one metre between across a 3.5M room and another 3 2.8 metres down the room
will be the spacing...using the present lighting points as the centre of each row

that is where i have got to so far but so far....no stone cutting has been done
further helpful comments welcomed
cheers
geof

ps the bulbs i am looking to buy are 895lm which i gather is about what a 12w led will produce

Last edited:

thanks old chap
see abover for my boy racer ideas for the three lamps
cheers
geof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back