LED Lighting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wanting to fit Led lights above our staircase and landing. The ceiling are is 6ft wide X 10ft long. Wanting to fit 6 lights. The problem is the placement over the width, if I position at 2ft the lights are not central over the stair case. The staircase is a twist n turn with half landing.
Would it look better if I measured from the edge of each staircase (16") and placed them central over the stair treads? The only problem doing this is the bigger central space not looking even.

Sponsored Links
The placement is up to you; it's your house and you have to look at them.

What sort of lights had you in mind?
Do they involve cutting holes to the detriment of the ceiling and any insulation you may have in a loft?

The lights will be fire rated led and yes I will be cutting holes. I'm thinking of using 6 but then 9 may look better. Just seeking advice from other diyer's

Sponsored Links
To get a spread of light with a white ceiling it is better to have lights below ceiling hight shinning up. Where the ceiling is not white, then you need an area of light, 10 x 2W x 2" diameter will light an area better than 5 x 4W x 2" diameter, but likely 4 x 4W at 4" diameter will be better than other two options. The problem with the MR16 replacement LED is often they do not even have 16/8 of an inch across, but with cooling fins often down to 1" no where near 2" the result is a poor lighting of the area. Rather than use MR16 replacements if you use surface mount LED lamps the result is far better.

In real terms MR16 lamps say "I have not a clue what I am doing" get some proper lights. Size does matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back