LED strip on a curve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been asked to fit a a strip, or strips of LED around the curved 'face' of a display sign.

Having seen that LEDs have become so ubiquitous of late, I thought it shouldn't be a problem. However looking into it, I find that the strips of LEDs can only run in straight lines, whereas this sign panel is oval with a radius in the region of 500mm.

The only alternative would be a 'rope-light' type which is not really the right look, more Christmas decs, I'm sure most would agree.

Does anyone know a solution to running LEDs on a curved face?

Sponsored Links
Rather depends whether it is indoors. The LED strip can be cut at regular intervals, so you could cut and join.

(My use of these involves putting a straight clear plastic tube over them (SOIC IC carrier) making them easily cleanable and reasonably waterproof, but this will be harder for a curved strip.)

Sponsored Links
Been asked to fit a a strip, or strips of LED around the curved 'face' of a display sign.

Having seen that LEDs have become so ubiquitous of late, I thought it shouldn't be a problem. However looking into it, I find that the strips of LEDs can only run in straight lines, whereas this sign panel is oval with a radius in the region of 500mm.

The only alternative would be a 'rope-light' type which is not really the right look, more Christmas decs, I'm sure most would agree.

Does anyone know a solution to running LEDs on a curved face?

SNM, were you able to figure this out? I'm working on something similar and haven't found any flexible LED strips that can be bent along the face of the LED.

No, I gave up on it - think the shop has since closed down

Not looked into 'LEDs on a curve' since, however it would still be good to find a solution.

These strips will bend either way, just bought some for a little project:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-24-RE...2V-/280600457132?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160
$(KGrHqV,!k0E4lnJGHo8BORO7KdwBw~~0_35.JPG

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back