LED Tape to light switch installation

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by pr1970ster, 31 Oct 2012.

1. pr1970ster

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi All

I`m having a plasterboard ceiling put in our kitchen with a cutout centre and intend to put strips of LED Tape to uplight the centre.
    Something like this..
    [​IMG]

This is what I have
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5M-5050-R..._Lights_Fairy_Lights&var=&hash=item1e71cf693a

Questions are, whats the best way to wire this into the lighting circuit. Just extend the power cable that goes into power supply with a socket lead directly into the light switch?

And also, I bought 5m of tape but now intend to use 10m so its all the way around the centre cutout. Would one of these transformers handle the power if I bought another 5m of tape does anyone know?
    Its rated at 12v 5Amp.

Thanks alot

Paul

2. PrenticeBoyofDerry

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What does the manufacturers instruction say you should do?
    I would not be happy having a socket outlet for BS1361 13A plug on a 5A or 6A lighting circuit.
    I would be tempted to replace 13A plug for 5A plug and install a 5A socket outlet to the lighting circuit.
    http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Product...w=5a+sockets&gclid=CIXV_8GBrLMCFUFb3godtnMA6w

If your going directly from a switch remember you need a neutral conductor to complete circuit

3. ToolbeltDandy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    According to the specs at the bottom of the listing, the transformer provides upto 60 watts while 5 m uses 36 watts. What it's not clear on is whether the 150 LEDs per 5 m ir 300 LEDs per 5 m both use the same power but if you bought the higher density strips, then I guess it's a safe bet than unfortunately, the supplied transformer will be insufficient.

Incidentally, remember that these LEDs produce a considerable amount of heat and should be affixed to something metal to sink the heat away or they will begin to fail prematurely.

4. pr1970ster

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom