Ledge & Brace Doors + Tee Hinges ; Choosing Hinge Size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got ledge and brace doors of varying widths and I'm looking for a rule of thumb on which to base my selection of hinge size/length (span across door).

These are heavy oak doors, upto 836 wide.

For this size would the best rule of thumb be 18" ~ half the width of door, or 12" ~ third the width of door?

It's also been suggested to me, that I use 3 hinges per door.

All opinions gratefully received :)

Sponsored Links
I haven't found T hinges much good. Hook and band are usually heavier built and sloppy enough to cope with dirt or rust.

If you have more than two hinges to a door or gate, it gets dificult to swing when it warps out of true.

Thanks for the reply :)

Would you be able to explain (or point me in the direction of an explanation) how to/where to fit band hinges too?

I should have said, these are internal doors. Some open inwards, some outwards.

I would still need to know what size band hinges to use. Half the doors width? Or just a third?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
As you say these are internal doors, I presume you are goiung for a rural, cottage style? In that case, Tee hinges would be OK as they will not go rusty and the doors will not warp often as they would outside. It will also not be essential to have galvanised ones.

So I would be inclined to use 3 hinges, one at the central ledge, and one at the top and the bottom.

However Tee hinges are usually cheap and flimsy and will not look like a quality job. They are usually painted in a contrasting colour (not white).

I'm sorry I don't know the science of selecting hinge sizes, I do it by eye, and look for an arm length about a third of the width of the door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back