Legal to install extractor above shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the picture shows, they've installed the duct above the shower.

shower-jpg.89019

There isn't an extractor fan inside and I'm wondering if it's because you are not allowed to install one there?

If it is possible, do I need a special one or will a normal one do?

Also, am I allowed to install any myself? I assume I have to get it certified (Part C?) at some point.

Thanks very much.

Attachments

• sHOWER.jpg
    sHOWER.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 4,930
Sponsored Links
Another vote for 12V fan.

The transformer is best installed outside the bathroom.

Do you want a timer fan - typically will come on with the light, light gets turned off, fan runs on for n minutes.
Timer fan could also be operated by it's own independent switch instead.

Or a simple manual fan with simple on off switch.

Does that duct go straight out the wall to the outside?

Or does it link up with something else?

Is this a flat?

Some older flats can have bathroom ducts linked together and a communal fan fitted somewhere out the way.

Other properties can have weird ventilation systems.

So thought it best to confirm all this first.

Sponsored Links
As the picture shows, they've installed the duct above the shower.
It does not show a duct, it shows a vent grille. Is there a duct attached behind the grille.
There isn't an extractor fan inside and I'm wondering if it's because you are not allowed to install one there?
You are allowed, providing the seleted fan is suitable for the location
If it is possible, do I need a special one or will a normal one do?
As above you require one that is suitable for location, so yes one that is specially designed for that location.
Also, am I allowed to install any myself? I assume I have to get it certified (Part C?) at some point.
Well that would depend on you skill and knowledge of the work you are undertaking, do you actually mean part P or are you having to have go through building regs for the containment of moisture also?

Great help, thanks for all your responses.

To clarify all the points you've made:

1. Sorry PrenticeBoyofDerry, I did mean part P.
  2. I will want to connect the fan that has a timer (to effectively dispel poo fumes) to the pull cord light.
  3. What's the reason behind a 12v fan instead? I can easily put the transformer in the loft regardless.
  4. I can now see the fan will be in Zone 2, do fans actually have zone ratings?
  5. Behind the grille is a vent/duct that leads to the outside - I can sometimes hear the flapping of the Louvre slats!
  6. It's a house.
  7. The room is half tiled from floor to ceiling and there is a double glazed window. I can always open a window instead of course, but don't want to especially in the winter and I nearly always forget!

how long is the duct?

What is the height of that grille above floor level?

Do you have access to a loft above?

100mm 12v fans that I have seen are all extremely weedy. Perhaps a powerful one exists somewhere.

Cold air will have to come in somewhere.
That is the main reasons simple fans don't work. One needs to consider a ventilation system rather than simple fan. Be it louvre panel in the door, large gap under door, or a full heat recovery unit to pump air out air must also enter the room. I think it's part F which goes on about open flues which is really any item which does not have a balanced flue it does not simply mean an open fire.

My friend talked about the whole idea of pressurising the room with a fan rather than sucking out of the room. His idea was a fan bringing air to the wood burner which would warm the air before it escaped to all parts of the house and would also make lighting the fire easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back