Legionella

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
RENTED PROPERTY

"Remove dead leg from hot water supply" the legionella report says.

Has anyone experience with these legionella reports .

Does the washing machine tap (not being used during this six month tenancy) really have to be fully removed from the hot water system?

Sponsored Links
Is that a branch off the hot water tap supply?

If so it's not an issue - the general guideline is no unused branch greater than 100mm from a regularly used supply pipe.

As a precaution (nothing to do with Legionella) I would put a cap on the isolator.

no unused branch greater than 100mm from a regularly used supply pipe.

It is a simple washing machine tap used for connecting (admittedly an older style) washing machine. Depending on the tenants washing machine it is sometimes used, sometimes not.

Where can I see that directive of 100mm from regularly used supply?

It's only an advisory. Doesn't have to be done.
The legionella risk assessment is simply that an assessment to advise on possible risks. It carries no enforcement powers.

I wouldn't have even noted that personally.

Sponsored Links
Yes newboy, it is a washing machine tap in the photo. It is not used during this tenancy simply because the tenant has a more modern washing machine with a cold fill only.
Some confusion over weather it should be removed from the hot water supply as a "dead leg"....

The question I asked is "is that a branch off the hot water tap supply?"

The reason for the question is that if it's a branch, there's no issue with Legionella. If it's not a branch i.e. it's a true dead-leg, then the answer is different.

Legionella surveys are the latest panic-inducing measure for landlords!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back