Level Concrete Floor with Sand

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to level an uneven concrete floor before installing insulation and screed. I've seen that some people suggest using sharp sand to fill the hollows. does this sound reasonable? I think it would work as all it needs to do is allow the insulation to sit level?

I cant use letex or levelling compound as the area is too big and it would cost a fortune

Sponsored Links
Is this "sand blinding", which I've seen suggested in Kingspan documents for solid floors, i.e. "sand blinding", polythene, insulation boards, screed.
Or is that something else?

I'm considering doing something similar, but I don't know how uneven my base is yet.

No it's a stupid idea.
Why? We use a soft building sand when blinding floors.

The surface of the slab should be smooth, flat and free from projections. Beam and block floors should be level and grouted. Rough cast slabs should be levelled using a thin sand blinding to ensure boards are continuously supported.

Sponsored Links
Because the sand does shift. There are the practicalities of placing and keeping the sand in one place and compacting it in deeper troughs or wider areas.

All of this is overcome with a bit of cement and water and a few minutes of time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back