Level differences between rooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if there are any regulations which cover the permissible level difference between adjoining rooms? We are just doing some feasibility to extend to create a family bathroom. The extension will need to be around 0.4-0.5 lower than the existing floor level. This would require going through the door and then taking two steps down into the bathroom. Is this permitted and if so are there any "landing" needs immediately inside the door?

I have looked on building regs around doors and their proximity to the "first step" but these seem only to relate to landings at tops of stairs. If that is the only requirement (which appears to be a min of 400mm deep landing area) then I can work with that. My concern is if you cannot have steps (down) immediately inside a door.

I hope this makes sense and if anyone knows the answer according to the regs that would be great.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There are no regulations for difference in levels of rooms

There are regulations for flights of steps/stairs between levels of 600mm or more, but IIRC two or more steps becomes a flight in any case.

Landing requirements are for landings not levels between rooms, but a BCO may interpret this differently - but I'd argue otherwise. However, it is inherently dangerous to have any steps immediately before or after a door

BCO may well frown upon steps immediately through an opening door and decide you can't have it that way. Is there any reason in particular, you can't make the extension on the same level as the existing?

Sponsored Links
I've found Building Control pretty clear in this situation when its occurred, if its one step do it on the threshold, any more than that and it needs to be kept away from the door as long as the swing is clear of the landing at the top. The same regs apply whether its 2 steps or 16. As ever though Building Control can and do make exceptions, get them round for a cup of tea and a friendly chat! Family bathrooms are mainly going to be used by people familiar with the design.

Anyway this is probably another thread where the OP is too busy/lazy to bother posting again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back