Level of screed floor could be a problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just had conservatory built and builder just finished screed floor. The entrance to the conservatory form house is through patio doors. He's built up the level of the screed so that it's flush with the UPV step of the patio doors 9hope that makes sense). I questioned him and he said he had no choice but won't that mean we'll keep tripping over the edge of the laminate floor when that's laid? In building up to the level of the step he's also covered the trunking and cable for the power supply that was in the 3-4"" gap below the step.

There's always been a bit of a drop between the floor and conservatory level in every house I've been in so I don't understand why our situation was so different?

I haven't paid the final instalment yet but want to know how best to get this sorted.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Longshanks

Sponsored Links
It seems normal to me. Why would you want a step instead of it being built up?

Probably being thick but wouldn't ends of laminate boards be above the floor level at the point where the patio door step is? Would that not be an issue?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A plastic frame sticks up from the threshold, so presumably the laminate will butt up to that.

Hi

Will post picture tomorrow. The builder has covered the edge of the UPV step with screed so it's a smooth, continuous finish. There's nothing for the laminate to butt up against!

Hi

Images attached. You will see that there's nothing to butt the laminate up to so I guess the panels will have to go over the UPVC. However, won't the slight curve in the UPVC be a problem then?

Many thanks

Yes he has done it correctly.

You still have the plastic frame above the screed, and not a stupid step that many conservatory companies leave

Hi

When you say the plastic frame above the screed Do you mean the visible part of the UPVC step or the bit actually beneath the patio doors? Would the laminate panels cover the step and go all the way in the gap to the patio doors?

Sorry to be thick here!

Thanks

If you look at your doors, the actual frame goes all around the sides, top and bottom. Then there is the actual cill section tacked onto the bottom

Your builder has come level with the cill and the frame is sticking up from the floor

Your laminate will butt up to the frame as it is clearly sticking up from the floor

Many thanks for reassuring me.

It was just that I was expecting a drop between the main room to the conservatory, although I now understand that this is not best practice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back