Lidget Compton Concrete Garages - any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lidget Compton seem to be one of the three main players in the prefab concrete garage industry (the others being Hanson and Nucrete), but I'm struggling to find any impartial reviews of their products.

Does anyone have any experience with Lidget Compton buildings, or indeed any other manufacturers, either positive or negative?

The prices for prefab garages are coming out at roughly half what local builders estimate to construct a similar building from scratch, so it makes economical sense to go for a prefab, but I don't want to buy something that's going to fall down after five years :)

Any advice would be most welcome!

Sponsored Links
I purchased from Compton (as they were then) in 2010, on recommendation from my neighbour. He had a Compton Garage put up about 20 or so years ago, and other than a leaking roof (he thinks caused by the neighbours climbing on it to paint their fence....), it is still perfectly fit for use.

I specced a larger than average single, which has given me plenty of room for a Rover 45 car, and space around it to store garden tools, petrol mower etc. The garages are pretty simple design, all are made from standard sized concrete panels that bolt together. To achieve the pitch required on the roof, then wooden boards are used to make up the height as necessary. I suspect other manufacturers use a similar system.

Quality wise I have found the wooden fascia's split after 18months or so, but otherwise the panels are all ok. My biggest criticism was of the fitting team. I had the base done by the recommended builder from Compton's agent, (if the fitting team aren't happy with the base they can refuse to erect the building!), which was fine. The pair who came to put the garage together, (I was at work but my partner supervised), I am told, were rushing. It showed.....

One cracked panel, and the up and over door broke one of it's latches. In fairness Compton were pretty good, they sent a guy out who promptly hit the roof. (He's spent the entire week going round after this one team!) Panel was replaced without question, (although they left me the cracked panel to dispose of....), and the door was realigned to open/close as it should without breaking anything!

4 years on, still happy with the garage. Useful man cave at times too. :LOL:

We bought a Lidgett garage a few years ago. The garage itself is fine, but the installers didn't put much care into putting it together. We were away when it was installed and they'd left it with a soffit board missing, no end cap on the gutter and a cracked fascia. The up-and-over door wasn't put in with any degree of care either.

When we complained someone came round and fixed it though, so there was no drama.

The only niggle I have is that the side door is quite poorly made and the lock they use in it looks like it came out of a Christmas cracker.

So – good for the money, but keep an eye on the installers.

I purchased a Lidget Compton double garage about 12 months ago but because I've been refurbishing the house from top to bottom haven't done anything with the garage.
When it was initially installed I had Lidget install the concrete base so there would be no problems, big mistake. They wouldn't dig down to install the base but just shuttered above ground level. They tried to skimp on the depth of hard core by 33% and I ended up barrowing concrete for them (to make sure the correct amount was used) as there was only two lads available.
When Lidget eventually arrived with the garage it came with the wrong door and the wrong roof and no-one to apply the rendering all of which were delivered over the next three weeks, albeit I had to point out that the installers had fitted part of the roof incorrectly to which they had to remove it and put it right the following day.
Upon completion it was noticed the the garage had been installed "****ed" on the concrete base, and not by a few millimetres but around 6 inches. After sending them pictures there response was there was nothing they could do about it now and would I like a few high street vouchers as a way of compensation.
I've now noticed one of the two roof trusses is installed incorrectly and they've bolted this truss to one of the double glazed window units. UNBELIEVABLE.
As I get more free time I am tending to start on the garage and more and more problems are coming to light.
All in all this has been a very shoddy installation with disgraceful aftercare and I would NEVER recommend this company to anyone.

Sponsored Links
I would then be writing to them, giving them a list of all the faults and say 28 days to arrange to attend and rectify said faults or you will be seeking legal advice. See if that scares them into action. I must admit, I do now wonder should I need to call on their '25 year warranty' (on the concrete panels) how helpful they would be..... :confused:

++++++++++++++++++++++
Shill recommendation from manufacturer's website removed
++++++++++++++++++++++

Lidget Compton's leaflets look good. Unfortunately there's a problem: the leaflets say they have efficient, good, skilled etc groundwork people which their agents recommend. This appears not to be true. The agent here has a page of these people BUT specifically states they take no responsibility for them. The agents are keen to take their percentage, but not keen to make the effort needed to ensure the thing will go up properly. I phoned Lidget's HQ (they will be pleased to answer etc) and got a disgruntled person who said it's done through their agent. I can't and don't recommend them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back