Light fitting problems - rewiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34041411@N07/sets/72157612196775934/

The above link is the pictures to help show what I need help with. Off Img_0018 the wire are:

Wire 1 - Joined Earth
Wire 2 - Joined Red
Wire 3 - Joined Black
Wire 4 - Red
Wire 5 - Black

When I removed the old fitting from the roof the weight of the fitting ripped out all the cabling and I was unable to match how this all tied together.

I fitted wire 2 & 3 to the light socket and the light stays on all the time. no matter if you pulled the switch or not.

I then added the other ones (4 & 5) and when you oulled the switch it tripped the upstairs circut.

Any help to rig this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Raymond

Sponsored Links
The pics appear to show old lead cables with the core insulation in terrible condition, I would not recommend you continue to try & replace the fitting with the cables in that state. You really need to call out an electrician, but be prepared for him to tell you that you need a complete rewire if that is a sample of the house wiring, to be frank it looks bad.It is no surprise the circuit tripped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back