Light fitting stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Over the last 6weeks or so I've been replacing the light fittings in my flat.

The first fitting in the living room was replaced about 6 weeks ago. i replace the single light bulb chandelier type fitting that uses 5 bulbs. The light switch for is fitting is a dimmer.
This was followed by a three bulb fitting in the bedroom.

the last fittings that I installed were 2 chandelier type fittings that uses 2 bulbs and is controlled by two two way switches at either end of a corridor. This was done about 2-3 weeks ago.

since all fittings have been installed, everything has been working fine.

The first thing that was a bit odd was one of the bulbs in the main fitting in the living room failed about a week and a half ago. I thought it strange for a new (5 week old bulb) with light to medium use to fail so quickly.
Since the other 4 bulbs continued to work I put it down to a dodgy bulb and I replaced it and it worked fine.

This week, I got home from work, to find that none of the 5 bulbs on the front room fitting come on when the dimmer is switched on

All of the other fittings in the flat are working fine.

I. Total there are 7 fittings
-kitchen- working
-front room - not workin
-bedroom1- working
-bedroom2- working
-bathroom-working
-hallway (2fittings) both working

First thing I checked was the bulbs on the fitting that has stopped working.. All are okay
The next thing I checked was the dimmer switch.(I swapped it for a new one that I hadn't fitted yet)
This did not do anything either.
Today I've had the fitting down to check for any loose wires. Everything was in place. I did the same for the most recent fitting that I replaced in the hall way and again that didn't reveal anything obvious.

On side note I used my multimeter to check for continuity on the new dimmer switch and failed to get any thing. Could it be possible that I bought a brand new faulty switch as well as the distinguished one failing?

Other than that can anyone recomend what else And where can check before I have to call out an electrician to look at it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Concur.

If all the non-working lamps are on the same fitting and that fitting is controlled by a dimmer, it could well be a faulty switch.

Thanks all, correct, it was a faulty switch.

I tried swapping out the suspect switch for a known working one and its all good.

Off to BnQ for a refund! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back