Light fixture from Russia is darker in the U.S.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I bought a light fixture with 18 halogen bulbs (20W each) in Russia and brought it over to the United States. When I hooked it up, it wasn't nearly as bright as it was on a display in Russia. There are 2 transformers and a remote with 3 light combinations. I don't really know much about wiring inside the fixture and am looking for advice. I just want to make it bright again. thanks!

Sponsored Links
Russia operates on around ~230volts. America and canada are 110. So the fitting is getting half the power it was designed for. Not surprising the output is lower and dim.

(Sometimes stereotypes exist for a reason.)

Move back to Russia?

Otherwise you'll need to replace the transformers for ones rated at 110v. Since there are transformers, I'm going to take a guess and say that the bulbs at 12vdc and probably only getting 6vdc if that, so once the transformers are replaced the bulbs will be fine as they'll be getting the voltage they need.

Sponsored Links
If the house has a split-phase supply then 240v is available. This is commonly used for driers, ranges, dish washers and large pumps.
It would be possible to connect the light to 240v, but this would require two circuit breakers (one on each part of the split-phase supply), red and black wires from the breaker box to the light & switch, and a dual pole switch to tun the light on and off. A single pole switch would turn the light off, but it would still be live with 120v, which I suspect nobody would be expecting. The neutral (white) wire wouldn't be used. Ground would be connected as normal.

So it is possible but I don't know if such an installation would be recommended.

So it is possible but I don't know if such an installation would be recommended.

You'd have the problem of having to buy 240V replacement lamps of the correct type, which are probably not going to be available in the corner convenience store.

It would also be a violation of 210.6(A) of the NEC (National Electrical Code), which doesn't permit voltages in excess of 120V nominal for lighting fixtures in dwellings.

...It would be possible to connect the light to 240v, but this would require two circuit breakers (one on each part of the split-phase supply)....
Although I am not familiar with US customs, I would have thought a DP MCB would be correct and more safe.

I can't see any reason to choose a difficult and complex solution, when it could be dealt with by fitting a US standard transformer.

Although I am not familiar with US customs, I would have thought a DP MCB would be correct and more safe.

Yes, for a 240V circuit the NEC stipulates either a double-pole breaker, or if single-pole breakers are used that they are fitted with a handle tie to make them common trip. There is an exception for a multiwire circuit which serves only 120V line-to-neutral loads.

Ah yes, I didn't know they were available. The only installation I've looked closely at in USA had pairs of circuit breakers with a small metal bar between them so that in theory they would trip together. Except one pair which didn't have the pole. But that's okay because it only fed a heat exchanger outside. :rolleyes:

I can't see any reason to choose a difficult and complex solution, when it could be dealt with by fitting a US standard transformer.
I was just thinking of alternatives. If you change the light fitting too much then why bother having brought all the way from Russia? Lack of replacement light bulbs is of course a good reason to find a 120v solution.

Sponsored Links
Back