light has stopped working?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice.

I have a light in my kitchen that has stopped working, I suspected it was the fitting as a gu10 bulb failed and the ends of the bulb fused/snapped off inside one of the fittings.

so I disconnected the fitting and replaced it with an out of the packet/new ceiling rose as a temp fitting. but this does not work either?

I never mixed up the live switch wire as this was going to the brown on the fitting, the two black wires were together going to the blue - the three red loop wires were separated in a stand alone piece of connecter. which I left alone.

Do the loop wires need to go into the rose centre, or are they ok in the piece of connector as long as the go together? is this why its still not working or do I need to look at something else?

Nothing has changed in the house wiring up to this point - the light fitting stopped working, as I said a assumed it was the cheap gu10 that has damaged the fitting.

I don't have a multi meter, just a basic live wire tester. Both light switches and the wires to the ceiling all show power to them. Both switches work the secondary lights off them - living room and stairs with no issues.

I'm happy to get an electrician in if this goes beyond my basic understanding, but I could do without the cost. I'm hoping that its my first simple question about the rose is the issue, but I was sure that the loop wires don't do anything in the rose apart from be connected together?

thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Do the loop wires need to go into the rose centre, or are they ok in the piece of connector as long as the go together?
Electrically it won't make any difference. If the ceiling rose is being fitted permanently, then they should be put in the centre loop terminals.

Reasons for not working are either one or more wires are not connected to the rose properly (insulation under a screw, wire broken off et.), the switch has failed or the lamp (bulb) is bust.

I don't have a multi meter, just a basic live wire tester.
You really should buy a multimeter, even the cheapest one is far more use than the 'live wire tester'.

Hello, thanks for the quick reply -

The rose is temp.

I switched out two bulbs just in case.

I checked the connections for bare wire hitting the screws twice, but I will check a third time and feed back.

If a switch has broken, wouldn't the other switch still work the light? - I'm happy to pick up another switch to eliminate that. I will feed back.

If I have kept the live switch wire identified and away from the three loop wires - do I still need a multi meter?

Thanks again.

[/quote]

are you sure the lamp/bulb is in good condition?
Are there any other lights not working?
Don't rule out a loose conductor at the switch either.

Sponsored Links
hello, thanks for your reply.

the lamp or fitting is brand new.

the second bulb I tested was taken from a working light.

there are no other lights not working.

like I said I happy to replace a switch - could one faulty switch stop another from working as well? as a side note; both are two gang and the other respective lights both work.

thanks.

Why don't you bye pass the switch to eliminate if thats the problem?

Regards,

DS

could one faulty switch stop another from working as well?
Long answer: There are quite a few ways to wire lighting circuits and use switches, and depending on how yours have been done a faulty switch could stop another one from working.

Short answer: Yes.

could one faulty switch stop another from working as well?
Long answer: There are quite a few ways to wire lighting circuits and use switches, and depending on how yours have been done a faulty switch could stop another one from working.

Short answer: Yes.

thank you I will change the switch, as I thought initially that it might intermittent issue, but put it down to faulty bulbs. I will definitely feed back all findings - at the weekend, as when I get home from work it is dark.

Before replacing anything, your best method of fault finding is testing the circuit out.
Ideally by use of a meter that can measure continuity and an approved two pole voltage tester.

so many multi meters to choose from, could some one point me in the correct direction? I would like to keep the cost low but not lose functionality. Please remember this will probably only ever get used a few times in its life span, this will not be a trade tool.

Regards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back