Light is always on - wiring problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I was hoping if somebody can help me out with a wiring issue. I have a hallway with 2 lights and 2 swiches at my house which i have only just recently moved into.

I believe that these two switches control both of the hallway lights - I am assuming this considering the number of wires in the light unit which far exceeds any of the other light units around the house. The lights are always on now matter if the swiches are on an off or on position - I am not sure what is wrong. I have taken a few photos of one of the light unit to illustrate how the wires have been connected. I did not wire this initially - as such I am not sure where each exact wire is coming from (either the previous light or the switch) - can sombody please take a look at the photos and let me know if theres something that I can do to fix this.

Please let me know if you need any more information

Light 1

Light 2

Switch 1

Switch 2

Sponsored Links
I'd be more inclined to look at the switches, can you take a pic of the backs of both switches? (as clear as possible so we can see which wire goes where)
:cool:

very thorough on the ceiling rose pics.. however you mention 2 switches and another light which we don't have pictures of the wiring at...

with only 1/4 of the information we can't really help..

as said we need pics of the wiring to the switches as well as the other light.... as clear as your other pics and from several angles of the switch as already said so we can visually trace the cables..

Hi - i have posted the pics from the other 2 switches - i will post the pics from the last light in due course!! thanks for looking into this... let me know if you want me to retake the photos at a different angle

Sponsored Links
switches look ok to me..

are the lights on full brightness and do thy change brightness if you flip the switch?

Your subject title suggests one light stays on, but your post states both lights stay on. Can you confirm how many lights stay on?

I have now attached photos for the other light!

To answer your question, Sparkwright, theres only a bulb in Light 1 which is always on. A bulb does not light in Light 2 - upon further investigation, there seems to be some burning in the socket of light 2 !

Apologies for my lack of proper terminology in this area! Also Switch 2 has another switch which controls the bathroom light! I have not taken photos of the bathroom light yet - let me know if this is necessary.

At the fist rose, one of the three reds in the centre block needs to be put in the terninal with the black wire that is sleeved with red.
You need to identify which red wire to disconnect. It goes to the second light.
It seems at the socket you have a loose connection that needs tightening. Or the socket may need replacing.

which red should go with the black wire with a red sleeve - do i just do it by trial and error until the switch works?

ColJack - the light is on full brightness when turning the switch on/off - doesnt have an effect on it

With the power off you should use a test meter to identify the wire.
Are you in a position to use a meter?

Failing that you could try swapping each wire round by trial and error IF you work safely.

Check all connections are secure at the roses, lampholders and switches.

SparkWright - amazing - you were right!! spot on!! i now have control of light 1 using both switch 1 and 2!! i cant believe how many hours iv spent researching the net with no luck!! thanks mate for your help!!

I have taken a photo of the socket of light rose 2 just to show you the burning that was originally there.. i did buy a light rose from B&Q however i dont believe it was a match to the original one, there were less terminals so i didnt want to risk messing around with it

Make sure you replace that lampholder. You can buy a lampholder like that quite easily.

you don't heed the entire rose, just the pendant bit..
should come with 2 wires, one brown , one blue.. swap like for like in the old rose..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back