Light or solid dense concrete block?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping for some more advice regarding which block to use, i've had a look around but not really got a good explanation of which block i should use. I've used solid dense for founds and 3 inner course above ground level. Its a 100mm partial fill cavity.

Should i now use lighweight 7n blocks from here on? I know there lighter but is there any structual difference between them and the heavier ones that i've been using? These will be rendered as i have facing brick outer course so far.
I'm hoping to order them shortly, whats the advantages and disadvantages?

Sponsored Links
Also, are these 'lightweight' blocks the 7n aerated ones which can be rendered? Can they be mixed with solid dense?

Are they the lightweight blocks? Are the solid dense overkill for this project and can the 3.5N be mixed with the solids?

Sponsored Links
Yes you can throw in some solid dense fellas externally but use these at the bottom.

Bear in mind this is a diy project, why use the 3.5N at the bottom? Sorry for the repeated questions but the builders merchant said to use lightweight 7.n for ease, is he trying to get a sale? I've ordered solids so i should change these to fibrolites, are they similar in texture? Never used them before....
Thanks fo the replys

If it were me i would want a uniform suction background for the rendering, therefore i would use all the same block.

I would also want to be using a well keyed, moderate suction, light-weight block i.e 3.5n fibolite/hemelite type block.

I would prefer the lightweight blocks so that i could lay lots of courses in one day without the wall buckling....or me buckling due to lifting 7n dense solids.

Bear in mind this is a diy project, why use the 3.5N at the bottom?
Thats not what i said. I said use the dense solids at the bottom.

I would prefer the lightweight blocks so that i could lay lots of courses in one day without the wall buckling....or me buckling due to lifting 7n dense solids.

Bear in mind this is a diy project, why use the 3.5N at the bottom?
Thats not what i said. I said use the dense solids at the bottom.

appoligies about the mis-interpretation.

Thats sounds like a plan to me , i dont fancy killing myself with those big heavy lump blocks,what about the lightweight 7N i mention what are these blocks or are they the same as u mentioned?

The roof load is going to have attic trusses, will the lightweights be ideal for the 'load bearing' walls?

Thanks again

No probs regards load bearing, though you will likely need pad's for any structural steel point loads.

Thanks again for some good advice, i'll order the lightweight block in the morning, my back will thank me for it lol. i'll be using l5/100 cavity lintels so i'll search the net and look for pads to suit.

Thanks again for some good advice, i'll order the lightweight block in the morning, my back will thank me for it lol. i'll be using l5/100 cavity lintels so i'll search the net and look for pads to suit.
You won't need to use pad's for proprietary manufactured lintels only for steel beams etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back