light switch 2 gang 1 way markings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
i have 2 lights in my lounge with two switches in one wall unit, i think this is called 2 gang 1 way? ie a light switch with two switches (dimmers)on it.
Currently its a dimmer, im replacing it with two normal switch plate.

but the new switch markings are L, L1 L2 (two of these as itsgot two switches)

my main question i cant find anywhere on the net is..... Is L the common

if i assume it is for now, on my current dimmer wiring C has a red loop wire (so wired from C to C) and then 4 other red wires either from C or from L2.

Ive marked up the cables so i know where then currently go.

Can i just swap the 2 gang dimmer for a 2 gang switch.

INFO
this is happening as ive put up new lights Low voltage ones and the dimmer makes them buzz and flicker a bit, i tried getting a new dimmer that says its for LV but its the same, the lights say it needs a trailing edge dimmer, i dont know if this is the same as a normal LV dimmer. But im hoping to put up a normal switch for now, hense question about L and common.

so , Is L the common connector and do i wire it up the same as the existing dimmer.

thanks guys, hope it makes sence

Sponsored Links
hi
i have 2 lights in my lounge with two switches in one wall unit, i think this is called 2 gang 1 way? ie a light switch with two switches (dimmers)on it.
Currently its a dimmer, im replacing it with two normal switch plate.

but the new switch markings are L, L1 L2 (two of these as itsgot two switches)

my main question i cant find anywhere on the net is..... Is L the common

if i assume it is for now, on my current dimmer wiring C has a red loop wire (so wired from C to C) and then 4 other red wires either from C or from L2.

Ive marked up the cables so i know where then currently go.

Can i just swap the 2 gang dimmer for a 2 gang switch.

INFO
this is happening as ive put up new lights Low voltage ones and the dimmer makes them buzz and flicker a bit, i tried getting a new dimmer that says its for LV but its the same, the lights say it needs a trailing edge dimmer, i dont know if this is the same as a normal LV dimmer. But im hoping to put up a normal switch for now, hense question about L and common.

so , Is L the common connector and do i wire it up the same as the existing dimmer.

thanks guys, hope it makes sence

You answered your own question, correctomundo !!

can i confirm then L is the common terminal
and i can wire it the same as the dimmer is wired

also this thing about leading edge dimmers, is it the same as a normal LV dimmer, cos mine with a normal LV dimmer hums like a year old nappy

fantastic, that worked, wiring up the 2 gang switch, so i know the lights are ok, it musta been the LV dimmer making them buzz and flicker slightly,
So i just need to find out about this trailing edge thing, and why my LV dimmer switch made them hum so much

appreciate the help so far

Sponsored Links
beeeep, any trailing edge dimmer experts around to help explain where to go from here?

appreciate your reply and i looked at the links.

Being an electrical thicko, is there an easy way to work out what i should get

right, so theres only one type of trailing edge dimmer? if the dimmer i want says trailing edge, then it will work fine? theres no varying types that need matching up with the light unit?

right, so theres only one type of trailing edge dimmer? if the dimmer i want says trailing edge, then it will work fine? theres no varying types that need matching up with the light unit?

Depends exactly on the light/ transformer instructions.
If that is all it says on it, then any trailing edge dimmer will do.
Some makes are better than others though.

Trailing edge is just the method used to dim the light whether it is a resistive light bulb or a low volt transformer.

If the light says , things like trailing edge suitable for inductive loads,
then that is what you need.

Courtesy of bas
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20940

cheers rock,

after searching for them online, they seem expensive compared to 'normal 'dimmers, so i think ill have to put up with the plane switch for now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back