Lighting circuit and extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am rewiring my downstairs. No i'm not doing any of the connecting to the CU, just the donkey work - chasing, running cables, connecting light fittings, etc that will all be left hanging for my sparky mate to check.

I plan to do it as a loop in system. Coming away from the consumer unit the mains fire alarm will be first so a lighting fault doesn't take it out.
Then on to the lights - some single switches, some doubles. I also have a bathroom light and extractor to put on the circuit and some out side lights (decking and wall lights).

Should I leave the bathroom and outside to the end of the loop and put in a FCU? Or just wire in a FCU like a ring main and take my bathroom from the FCU?

Thanks
Huw

Sponsored Links
:oops:

Should have read the Wiki first......
Still, any comments would be good before i start.
Thanks

Although today not so important the largest fuse/mcb is normally placed closest to the incomer and you work out.

Fire alarms should be battery backed and placing on it's own fuse/mcb could mean failure is not noted so normally put with the lights.

If you down load Part P document here there is on page 16 a plan on what should be installed. It is out dated as in 2008 there was a change to BS7671 and now RCD protection is required on all sockets, everything in bathroom and wires not in list of permitted types buried less than 50mm deep.

I can't understand why you talk about a bathroom and FCU it does not make sense to me. The fan would normally come from lighting supply or at least double pole switch connected to lights.

As to getting electrician to inspect for a full rewire you would be better using official route and paying LABC their fee.

I can't understand why you talk about a bathroom and FCU it does not make sense to me. The fan would normally come from lighting supply or at least double pole switch connected to lights.

As to getting electrician to inspect for a full rewire you would be better using official route and paying LABC their fee.

Some extractor fans require a FCU installed as per manufactuers spec before the TP Isolator.

Sponsored Links
I am rewiring my downstairs. No i'm not doing any of the connecting to the CU, just the donkey work - chasing, running cables, connecting light fittings, etc that will all be left hanging for my sparky mate to check.
Why aren't you asking your questions of your sparky mate? When he checks it, which of the following is he going to do:

1) Sign a declaration to say that he did all the work, not caring how good a job you did?

2) Sign a declaration to say that he did all the work, having made absolutely sure it's up to the standards he would have done?

3) Just say "yeah, that's OK", and leave you in breach of the law?

Ban - No 2. You give good advice mate and i appreciate it, but continually harping on about the regs is a bit tedious. (I bet you have driven over 70mph before! ;) )
My sparky has also demonstrated how he wants to see the wiring done and anything he is not happy with will have to be redone - which is fair.

Ericmark - thought that might be the case, but builder mentioned FCU when i was talking to him about it - what do they know :LOL: (he's actually very good - just lectrics is not his strong point). Thanks for the link.

Thanks for all the advise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back