Lighting circuit earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Installing a 2 two way lighting circuit in my garage as it has a front and rear door.

Put in conduit, new back boxes, etc.

Where do I terminate the earth as there are no blocks in the back boxes, just sheath it and leave coiled for future use if needed?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sleeve it, and put a piece of choc bloc on the end to stop the sleeving falling off.

If there's an earth terminal on the switch, use that.

Sponsored Links
I think Ive just seen the first non 'cheese wired' twin and earth ;)

I use the cheese wire method and yet my cable ends look just like that. Nothing wrong with it as long as you ring around with the knife first at the point where you want to strip the sheath back to.

Looks like a smidge of damage to the brown at the sheath - could have possibly used one of the crap proprietry strippers....

Two ways of stripping 6242Y/6243Y are often used...

Thge proper way involves running a knife down the side of the the cpc and is the 'proper' way.

The cheesewire method is seen as a bit rough, and involves snipping agt the end of the cable, getting the cpc in the cutters and ripping it through the sheath to split it, akin to cutting cheese with a cheesewire

FXSTRIPPER.JPG

On a purely personal note I would have used metalclad, plastic pattreses usually break when you screw them to the brick and are a target for ladders bikes etc and the earth issue is resolved also
Dev

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back