Lighting circuit not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having problems with the lights in my building. I've tried changing the bulbs but the switch at the mains keeps tripping. Is there anything I can do as a layperson or is this matter for an electrician?

Sponsored Links
Does it trip immediately? Or after a while? Does it depend how many lights are switched on? Have any electrical changes been made since the circuit last worked properly? Has anybody put nails or screws into a floor or wall? Has a new light fitting been put up? Or a light switch?

The thing that trips, what numbers and letters are printed on it? How wide is it? Does it have a "T" or "Test" button on it?

Does it happen when a light bulb blows? What make of bulbs are you fitting? Are they ordinary globes, or spots or candles?

When you say "building" do you mean "house?" Or is it a shed or commercial premises?

The lights are situated in a part of the communal area of a building. The lights are zoned off but this particular zone of just 3 lights simply isn't working. The switch at the mains trips immediately without delay and there is even a tiny little spark sometimes from the switch. The bulbs are 20w halogen down lights.

I've just had a look at the switch but I can't read the text which is tiny. However, there is a very small blue button above the switch. I just this moment pressed it and then put the switch back with success. All the lights are working.

Thank you for asking me to look closely at the switch otherwise I would never have spotted this blue button. Is it a reset button? I still don't know why it tripped but I'll keep an eye on the lights in future.

If the button is a Test button, then it will be on an RCD and the fault will be caused by earth leakage.

Without knowing what else is written on the device I can't be sure.

An earth leakage fault is commonly caused by water getting into a fitting or switch (for example if there is an outside light on the same circuit) or by a nail penetrating a cable. Sometimes it is caused when alterations or renewals are incorrectly done; sometimes it has been present for many years and not noticed until a new CU is fitted. The fault will often be out of sight.

Unless you are able to find the cause yourself you will need an electrician.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like an RCBO, which is a sign of a quality installation, sounds like it is 6Amp (for a small lighting circuit), type B, with 30mA RCD incorporated (which guards against electric shock or earth faults) made by Hager.

With an RCBO it is often difficult to tell without testing if it is tripped by an Earth Leakage fault or an overload.

They will also trip if incorrectly fitted and not properly tested by an incompetent installer.

What could cause an overload? The electrician who fitted the system said the bulbs should be 20w only otherwise the battery for the emergency lighting will run down too soon. But I did recently up the bulbs to 50w to get more light. Just to make it clear the lights are combination maintained and non maintained.

either way, it will be a fault. I am presuming it used to work and has recently gone wrong.

6A is plenty for a few emergency lamps.

This is the first time since the circuit was installed several months ago that the lights have tripped.

I'm assuming then that although they are back on now, they may go at some point in the future unless checked by a qualified electrician.

if you use light bulbs with a filament, it will sometimes cause a trip due to the momentary surge when the bulb fails and the filament melts. This can be recognised because when you turn the power back on, one of the lamps will have failed and may have a visibly broken filament or blackening of the glass. This is more common with spotlights and candle bulbs.

It does not happen with Energy Saving Bulbs (compact fluorescents) as they have no filament. They also last longer and use less power. They may not fit in your existing lights.

churchill_268x332.jpg

OH! YES.

halogen lamps do have filaments. Better brands, like Osram, have an anti-surge fuse inside that reduces the risk of breaker tripping on lamp burnout.

.... made by Hager.

With an RCBO it is often difficult to tell without testing if it is tripped by an Earth Leakage fault or an overload.

They will also trip if incorrectly fitted and not properly tested by an incompetent installer.

Just like to add to your list that the device itself could be faulty(although not the case here). I have had to replace 2 Hager Mcbs this month that would not stay in the latched position.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back