Lighting circuit spurs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it better to wire all light fixtures sequentially in series, or is it acceptable practice to use JBs to create spurs?

Specifically, if my bathroom downlights are served by a spur off a junction box in the upstairs light circuit, does that sound ok?

As far as I can tell it may just make it slightly more effort to test, but is otherwise ok. Will make the wiring easier as I want to install the bathroom lights at a later date than the rest of the lighting.

Sponsored Links
Is it better to wire all light fixtures sequentially in series, or is it acceptable practice to use JBs to create spurs?
There are often branches in lighting circuits, and that is acceptable. It would be nicer to do it without using JBs, but one would probably struggle to get the required number of cables/conductors into a standard ceiling rose or equivalent.

Bear in mind that (a) any junction boxes which are not 'accessible' (e.g. above ceilings, below floors) have to be of a 'maintenance free' type and (b) that all circuits supplying a bathroom must be RCD-protected. ... also (c) in the unlikely event that your bathroom ceiling was less than 2.25m above floor level, installing ceiling lights in certain places in the bathroom (essentially near to bath/shower) would be 'notifiable' work, probably meaning that it would not be cost-effective to DIY it.

Kind Regards, John

Ok.

I'd bought a load of Wago boxes and connectors for those purposes as those are classed as maintenance-free.

The whole lighting circuit will be RCD protected so that's no problem.

Will try to use the first downlighter as the junction then, if I can fit 1 extra conductor in its terminals

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I'd bought a load of Wago boxes and connectors for those purposes as those are classed as maintenance-free.
Wago certainly believe that they are MF if used in combinations they approve.
Will try to use the first downlighter as the junction then, if I can fit 1 extra conductor in its terminals
If you could fit all required conductors into one light, you presumably could with the others - in which case you might well need few, if any, JBs.

Kind Regards, John

Yea in that case he might be struggling. Wouldn't be a problem in Click Inceptors or Aurora M5/10's etc but a standard robus would be a push with 1.5

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back