Lighting spur from shower circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can't say that I've read the Regs from cover to cover, so just checking!

Adding new ELV halogens to both bathrooms (6 d'lighters in all), so I am going to exceed the number of luminaires on the only upstairs lighting circuit.

My solution is to spur of the dedicated shower feed (with a 5A FCU) and run the new bathroom lights and loft lights (x2 60W) on this new circuit.

Anyone see a flaw in my plan?

TIA

Duncans

Sponsored Links
Why are you desperate to tap off the shower?

I assume there is good reason why you cannot get a fresh feed from the CU.

Why not off the ring?

I assume there is good reason why you cannot get a fresh feed from the CU

Drilling, chasing, plastering, knuckle scraping .... :(

It would just be simpler to go for the feed into the pull switch which is accessible from the loft.

Not sure if that's a good good reason though.

Duncans

spuring of shower cuircuits can be done but requires care.

you don't really want to be hanging thin cables off a 50A breaker if you can help it.

Id say the best hing to do if you must spur off the shower cuircuit is to use a 2 module box with a double pole 6A breaker inside it

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK5502.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CM9806B.html

should be plenty of room to get your two 10mm cables in one end of the breaker and your lighting cable in the other

Sponsored Links
The first seeds of doubt are creeping in; I glance around for the Thompsons Local :cry:

Anyone recommend a good C&G course!

Duncans

check out iee guidance note 1. A shower circuit is to be an individual circuit. Appendix c part e.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back