lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i was putting a light up in my kitchen the new light has Neutral Live Earth.

but i have four seperate cables 3 black 4 red and another black with red sleaving on it not sure how to wire this up any ideas thanks J x

Sponsored Links
You should check the help sections at the top of forum ;)
Your 3 blacks will go in to the N in the light fitting.
Your 4 red will be "loop feeds" and should all get connector blocked together.
Your Black with red sleeving will go to L in the light fitting.
Earths to the earth connection in fitting ( if appliccable )

Sometimes if connections in fitting are tight a flex can be attached to the connector blocks and then connected in to light.

Yeah i thought that was correct wot u said big john i have tryed that but it still came on. soon as u turn the power bak on it comes on and wont turn off via switch i am stuck.

Sponsored Links
Ban-all-sheds once said:
I didn't make this, so don't blame me for the tape. Using a choc-box would be better...

replacingceilingrose0lq.gif

Have you had a look at the switch? What connections are there? Are they blackened at all?

i guess you may have wired it up before coming on for advice and you have blown the switch, if you open the switch and remove the black cable from its terminal then switch on at the fuse you will probably find it doesnt light, confirming its the switch

RF Lighting said:
Ban-all-sheds once said:
I didn't make this, so don't blame me for the tape. Using a choc-box would be better...

replacingceilingrose0lq.gif

i done all of that dude even though they is an extra wire to it still just came on once the ccu was back on nd wudnt switch off u think it may b the switch ?

yes try disconnecting the switch if light doesnt come on then its the switch

I am watching this with interest as today i removed the old decrepid light fitting and as i removed it from the ceiling the wires just fell outta the choc block :eek:
An easy job now turned into a difficult job, then i came across this post,
trouble is i think i may have blown the switch as the black/red sleeved cable is not marked and i had to go through trial and error to get the lights to work, now im at the point where the light stays on and wont switch off via the wall switch, saying that there was one point where the fuse would blow when i tried this.
Would i be right in thinking its the simple switch light test to do and if this fails is there any, simple. wayi can find out which is the live black ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back