Lights with transformer in plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping you can help: the spotlights that my wife (and I, of course! :rolleyes: ) are 4 per pack and run off a transformer which is also the plug. As we would like 30 lights in total, we neither want 8 bulky transformer/plugs plugged in or have the facilities (8 sockets).

I did prepare a live feed from the lighting circuit pre partP and was hoping to feed them from that once I got to this stage (yes it has taken this long). I wasn't expecting them to have transformer/plugs. I assumed the ones we were going to choose would be live feed. Stupid boy!

So I was wondering how to do this.

I could run this cable into an inaccessible cupboard (no-one EVER goes there) which we have, mount some plug sockets and label them 6A only. They would all be controlled by one switch.

Or, cut the transformer/plugs off, and replace with -in-line- transformers?

Any better ideas?

Sponsored Links
knownothing said:
I could run this cable into an inaccessible cupboard (no-one EVER goes there) which we have, mount some plug sockets and label them 6A only. They would all be controlled by one switch.

Don't see any real problems with this. Providing the cable is protected by an apropriatly sized fuse then there is no danger of the cable becoming overloaded if someone were to plug in a higher load appliance into one of the 'lighting' sockets.

Or, cut the transformer/plugs off, and replace with -in-line- transformers?

This sounds like a bad idea. It is possible but you would have to make sure you bought a transformer of the right type (lights might not work with electronic transformers) and make sure the output voltage and current were correct. Doing this will more than likely void your warranty too.

What size cable are you thinking of feeding them with?

What is the total load?

7 x 4 = 28.

Have you got a half-pack?

If you use a fused spur, the fuse would be 5A, not 6.

Is 5A enough to run your 30 lights?

Sponsored Links
why not get some differnt lights, how about a picture or link to proposed lights

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back