Lining paper for walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. If I put up first wallpaper lining, then the wallpaper, will that lining have to be removed when I later change the wallpaper? I'm guessing so, but not sure. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If your very carful and take your time then its possible to save it, damp sponge job rather than a steamer.

It isn't worth the time, effort, struggle etc to try and save the lining. Just steam strip the lot off and start again.

Sponsored Links
It seems that you would tend to remove lining when changing wallpaper. Okay. Forgetting about the lining, is there any advantage to coating the plaster on a wall with some sort of paint, or some sort of covering? I'm certainly going to line the wall prior to wall papering, but as I say, what about laying a covering before the lining?

If the surface is new plaster, then there is no need at all to line the walls. Lining paper is only to give an even absorbency rate all over, so if the walls are bits of plaster, old plaster, filler paint etc then line the walls. If the new wallpaper is a light colour or white back ground then different colours on the wall can show through. Lining paper will stop this as will painting the wall with a cheap white matt first.

is there any advantage to coating the plaster on a wall with some sort of paint, or some sort of covering?

I think we need to know the reasoning behind your question before we can answer it. What's the state of the wall, and what are you trying to achieve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back