Lining Paper - what will it cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a question. I am currently building a loft extension. I have put all of the plaster board up and now comes the time when i need to paper it.

I am in the process of filling in all of the screw holes and basically repairing any holes etc in the plasterboard (i have found a few areas where the boards are not exactly square to each other and i am skimming these areas).

I hope soon to have each of the walls relatively smooth.

I bought some 1700 grade lining paper in Wickes the other day and my plan was to cross line each wall with this stuff and then put another layer on top of this so there will be two layers of this stuff on the walls.

The question is, what will this hide? There are some areas where some of the plaster board is, say 2mm, out, i am skimming these with plaster to make it smoother but wondering whether it is worth it and whether the paper will 'smooth' this out for me.

Anyone ever done this before, to what extent does cross lining with thick lining paper cover up any anomolies?

Also, a cheeky second question. When cross lining or normal papering, should one put anything on external corners? I have noticed some tape that you can buy which has a metal edge through the middle, just wondered whether it was worth getting this on the external edges (windows etc) to make them more hardy or whether not to bother.

Thanks

Lee

Sponsored Links
Do it right and get it skimmed. You'll lose money on a bodge job with lining paper.

Are we saying here that the only way to get a decent fininsh on a plasterboard wall/s is to apply a skim coat?

The reason i am asking this is the walls feel reasonably flat and i am a bit worried that when i skim the entire place it would look worse that it would if i had crosslined it with lining paper and then lined it again

Lee

Sponsored Links
I agree, get it professionally skimmed; depending on size, a decent spread will probably have it all done in 2 days max. It’ll save all that arsing around with filler & sand paper, it’ll be far more hard wearing, look 100 times better & last nearly as long. Lining paper is god awful stuff IMO, strictly for amateurs & bodgers & if you line it, neither you or anyone else in the future will have the opportunity to do a proper job & plaster it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back