Lining Paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To all,

I have taken the lining paper off my internal front elevation around the front door. The lining paper had been stripped but I have left a small amount about 10mm from the corner of each side wall (the side walls have lining paper on).

I need to reline the front elevation so do I cut the existing Lining papaer back all the way to the corner of leave it 10mm in and paper from there?

If I leave 10mm of paper I can cut it straight using a level and then repaper up to it. If I cut back to the cornetr the walls are prob not straight.

Hope this makes sense?

Cheers,

Dan

Sponsored Links
Hi Dan,

You are best to strip it right back into the corner. First run a stanley knife blade down the corner to cut through the paper - otherwise when you try stripping you'll often get tears going round the corner onto the adjacent wall.

Then, after you've prepped the wall, sanded, filled etc. always apply a coat of 5:1 Pva to seal any dust, and give a nice surface for applying new paper.

At corners, you'll probably find the adhesion along the side wall existing paper edges is a bit iffy, so either try sticking it back down with some neat pva or some paste before you start papering the main wall.

To start vertical simply draw a vertical line with pencil and spirit level slightly less than the width of the lining paper roll in from the corner. Then hang your firstt piece so that the edge overlaps onto the side wall. Trim it with scissors or craft knife. You then have a perfect vertical to continue papering across the rest of the wall.

Also, once you've finished, if you use some caulk/flexible filler down the corners, it prevents the paper from lifting in the future.

Hope this helps,

Best

Julian

Before you PVA - just check out the balance of opinion on using it on walls before painting - on this forum :eek: I`m saying no more - well I will say Zinsser water based sealer , actually

Sponsored Links
Hi Nige F,

Totally agree - would never paint over pva, but I think Dan is relining - ie. will be painting the new lining paper and not direct onto the pva, which I just recommended to give a good surface for papering on.

Hope I haven't misread his question.

Best

Julian

I personally prefer to use paste to size the walls rather than using pva.

I used proper sizing years ago but it stank of boiled dead animals

That said, some people prefer the slidabilty of pva.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back