Lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it just me or does anybody else detest lining paper, iam yet to see a decent job done with it I truely do hate the stuff and think its for people who can't be arsed to do a bit of prep work

Sponsored Links
I've got no problem with LP, i tend to think its lack of skill by the person applying it that makes it a bad job, done properly you shouldn't be able to see the seems, or in fact have any idea that the room is lined. Non woven papers are probably the better option for the inexperienced as they don't shrink or stretch.

That's probably why I have never seen a good job done then because its always in places where they have done it theirselves as a DIY job, personally myself i don't have a lot of experience with it or even paper hanging, personally think I'm crap at it so stay away from it, maybe I should just bite the bullet and take my time and go for it to gain the experience.

You still can't beat a good plaster job. You can plaster the walls flat and smooth and true up the external corners. Try doing that with lining paper.

Sponsored Links
Trouble is Joe there's a lot of bad plasterers about at the moment that cause more problems than they solve but in principal i agree that re-plastering is the best option for a really nice job. LP has come on well though in the last few years Erfurt are doing some good ones.

Pigeon have a go at home and see how you get on, soaking times are important, the heavier the grade the longer the soak time, get this right and as long as its plumb it should be fine.

Actually as its thread related i have a question. Talking to a customer who lives in a very old and cold house about thermal lining paper, would it be a waste of time and money doing the walls with a thermal LP if the ceiling is left as is?

The U value of any sort of thin materiel is pretty much a waste of time. You need at least 50mm Celotex to make a difference.

Thanks Joe. The house is Elizabethan so no insulation and cavity. Reading the blurb i'm summarising that this stuff would be more beneficial to such buildings as it will prevent absorption of heat by cold walls, whereas a modern home already insulated would have little benefit from this type of covering, but then again thats the idea i guess. Lets say there would be a benefit in this property, would faster warm up time and heat retention be affected substantially if the ceiling isn't done?

This is what i've been reading and it is quite convincing although there does seem to be a lack of any approval or endorsement from an industry body.

http://www.10elements.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=102&Itemid=208

What's convincing about it? Its just a load of claims anyone could make. Think about it, we stick 120mm PIR odd on the roof of a loft or 50mm PIR on the walls in a refurb, what do you think 3mm of foam can really achieve?

What's convincing about it? Its just a load of claims anyone could make. Think about it, we stick 120mm PIR odd on the roof of a loft or 50mm PIR on the walls in a refurb, what do you think 3mm of foam can really achieve?

well I intend to find out. I have just been asked to use wallrock thermal liner by a person that has already bought the product. it is being used on the external walls only. as soon as the job is done and i get some feedback I shall revive this thread and share the findings.

I'd be interested to see how you get on Dean, i'm wondering if there's a placebo effect or if it really can make a difference.
Surely this stuff works differently to traditional insulation like kingspan? It reflects the heat back into the room rather than blocking the cold from the outside? or have i got it wrong?

Fair enough mate, not something i really no anything about....

i'll get me coat ..

I'd be interested to see how you get on Dean, i'm wondering if there's a placebo effect or if it really can make a difference.
Surely this stuff works differently to traditional insulation like kingspan? It reflects the heat back into the room rather than blocking the cold from the outside? or have i got it wrong?

Actually, you could be right dec. I for one am prepared to keep an open mind until I have tried it, unlike a certain 90 year old called joe :LOL:

Actually, you could be right dec. I for one am prepared to keep an open mind until I have tried it, unlike a certain 90 year old called joe :LOL:
Go right ahead, clearly the whole of the building industry has missed a trick why ever do we fit expensive and thick PIR when 3mm of foam will do it! :rolleyes:

it has not been suggested that wallrock thermal liner is a match for 50mm of pir. of course its not. however, on this thread the liner has been dismissed as a waste of time by people that have likely never tried it.
If you can make a difference with thermal liner without having to knock off your skirting boards, then it seems like a smart move. I have also read some very positive customer reviews, but hey, what do they know? They have only actually gone and used the product.

by the way, the one I have been asked to use is the KV600
http://www.gowallpaper.co.uk/erfurt-mav-wallrock-kv600-thermal-liner.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back