Lining papers around corners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, although Ive hung plenty of wallpaper in my life and Im pretty good at it but Im slow, Ive never hung lining paper which I want to do and then finish it with emulsion paint. I was going to hang it horizontally for a couple of reasons, one being Ive never hung paper this way before so Id like to give it a go, secondly I might paper over it in the future so I want to avoid the seams clashing,
My question is if I hang horizontal where do I put the joints. Ive checked Youtube where the bloke just cuts it staright down each corner, surely this is a bad place to put a joint? If the walls aren`t exactly plumb then the corner joint would stick out like a sore thumb. I would imagine maybe an inch past the corner then overlap the next piece and then put a sharp stanley knife through them both to get a perfect butt.
Like I say Ive not done it before so any of your hints and tips are much appreciated. Thanks for any advice.
Best regards, Steve

Sponsored Links
Yup, I would wrap an inch or so around the corner overlap and then use a steel straight edge and cut through both layers lifting and peeling off the waste.

One tip is, (apart from keeping your fingers away from the blade when using the straight edge!) to cut is use a snap off blade knife and use a fresh blade for every cut, they blunt up very quickly when they hit the plaster. Just a case of experimenting to get the right pressure to go through the paper cleanly without ending up with a load of plaster dust in the joint.

I have an old wallpaper end trimmer guide (useless piece of kit for anything but perfectly straight skirtings) that I use as straight edge, as it has a T shape profile that keeps my fingers out of harms way.

It’s occurred to me that I assumed we are talking about external corners chimney breasts etc. With internal ones you can just hang one piece with the barest wrap around and cut the other into the corner, if needed a smidge of decorators mastic down the corner when the paper is dry will give a smooth finish.

I would hang vertically though (unless it’s the strip between a picture rail and ceiling) as if you are painting you need near perfect seams and it’s much easier to do that with the paper hanging down the wall, lining is just slightly wider than normal so as a rule so most joins don’t clash, just go for a slightly wider wrap around if over papering on your now perfect corners!

Hope it helps.

Thanks footprints, thats very helpful and Im grateful for your time. Actually I was mainly concerned about an internal corner although I will have one external corner. I will hang vertically then, that way an internal corner will be easier, just like wallpaper I suposse, it was if Id gone for the horizontal option I was wondering about internal corners, do you stop in a corner and join it there or go around the corner by an inch or two, overlap the next piece then cut it with a sharp blade through to the plaster? Id still be interested to know if anyone can advise.
Thanks again.
Best regards, Steve.

I dont normally splice. I'll just come round the internal corner and trim to about 10mm, then plumb back into the corner and trim. External corners you allow a piece to go past the corner, cut horizontal 'feathers' from top to bottom allow to dry and use abrasive to sand off against the angle, gives a perfect corner.

Sponsored Links
Thanks dcdec, I`ll go ahead and hang vertically, its only a small spare room Im doing so it should be pretty straight forward. This is a great forum by the way with lots of very helpful people on board. Cheers.
Best regards, Steve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back