Linseed oil and brick

mpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiys guys,

We had some work done on our house in April. We had the brick on the front of our house acid washed to remove the blackness and the we had some coloured pointing done. And then had linseed oil to seal the bricks.

The problem is: Looks like raw linseed oil used still tacky in places loads of runs and looks.. well for the lack of a better word sh1te. Its shiny in some places dull in others. When it rains it turns white'ish or purple'ish

We have tried to remove the linseed oil with.
brick acid 10%
Nitromorse
Terps subs
White spirit

All with varying degrees of success.

We WONT be getting the guys back so thats not an option.

Are we looking at sandblasting or steam blasting

Any Ideas before i get my house rendered

Cheers

Sponsored Links
For certain types of bricks a mix of boiled linseed oil and turps can be used.

Here are some pics.

runs in linseed oil
PA180066.jpg

runs and whitening with bubbles
PA180067.jpg

Cleaned x2 with nitro then brick acid not rinsed off
PA180068.jpg

Cleaned with nitro and acid washed off
PA180069.jpg

They didnt even re point properly, Used a rag to rub the mastic into the joints.

Sponsored Links
Raw takes too long to harden.

No sh1t. Its still tacky in places 6 months on. There is loads of dust stuck in some bits from when some of it started to go off.

I just want to remove it all now and be left with clean bricks. but it looks like the coloured mastic they've used had dyed the brick.

Or its a case of scrubbing each brick individually. :evil:

It looks like it's been bag rubbed with a coloured mortar. It might need sand blasting to clean it up properly, although you can carry on cleaning it up as you are.

It looks like it's been bag rubbed with a coloured mortar. It might need sand blasting to clean it up properly, although you can carry on cleaning it up as you are.

Bag rubbed thats it. Literally. coloured motar in a tesco bag then rubbed all over the walls.

The nitromorse is already softening the mastic so when we pressure wash it it coming off. which means were going to have to go over it again.
What can we use to seal afterwards. The wife isn't too impressed by a shiny house

Cheers

I have had another go at it today. And they must have caked the front of the house in the stuff, as its not coming off.

3 x nitro 3 x acid. Power washer and there is still some there.

So unless anyone has some other ideas. Its off to the hire shop for a boom lift and a big steam pressure washer.

Fingers crossed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back