Lintel for a new french door...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok I have read on here all about the problems where outer wall used to be built on iron window frames. And now they have been replaced (not by me) the course of bricks abouve have dropped.

Im guessing or hoping the inner wall is on a pcc lintel...

If I buy a steel lintel would I have to remove the pcc lintel or just filt the steel one under the pcc one?

would it be a case of boshing out the old window, and cuttin out bricks either side and boshing in a steel lintel, putting the bricks back in and then putting the bricks that have dropped back in and pointing em up...

Im assuming a couple of acros wouldnt go amiss to hold the house up whilst this is happening?

How much wider than the gap should the lintel be?

Im hoping im asking the right quesitions Or I may have a couple of hundered tones of painted and tiled hardcore for sale on ebay shortly....

Once thats in there Im assuming that the bricks bellow can just be cut out with stone cutter? then bish bash bosh in goes the door and 10 cans of expanding foam.......... haha.

Thanks in advance guys..

Rob

Sponsored Links
Would you not want to install the lintel on the outer leaf, rather than under any existing lintel on the inner leaf?

Yes you need strong boys/props
New lintel should be 300mm larger than opening, so 150mm can be supported either side of opening.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back