Lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I have someone that wants me to rebuild a small parapet wall.

As you can see the concrete lintel is also knackered.
I would like to use a catnic but the pillar on the left is only single brick.
As you are meant to have 150mm of lintel on the pillar I can't see how it can be done.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

26000_25716_60314_33109342_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
100mm bearing will be fine. The loads onto the pier will be tiny so no way the bearing stresses of the brick will be exceeded.

Thanks for the replies (not so much you Tony :p )

Ronny, problem is you will be able to see the catnic if I put it to the end of the brick.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps go back in with another conc. lintel of a heavier depth for that span and 6 brick load.
Come short on the exposed end and cover with ripped brick or matching brick tile.

FWIW: i guess that you've figured in that the roof coverings will possibly be disturbed and the parapet flashing will have to be redone.

I'd be well cautious of that return wall, esp. if it's of any length and under joist/roof load. Perhaps there are pillars inside the garage?

dann,
By 'come short' I take it you mean replicate what is already there?
If so, is 2" overhang going to be enough?
It looks wrong to me as it is.

I am doing the flat roof, that is my trade, it is asbestos sheets at the mo so changing it to 18mm decking ply.

Yes, that return wall looks like a good kick would have it over, I'll check for pillars.
Personally I think they should have narrower garage doors fitted and another course of bricks tied in well to the existing.
Bit of a nightmare.

Yes, thats what i meant. Only leaving ... no you'r right, thinking it thro, theres no way to leave and cover a one inch space with something permanent.

Altho, some of these pre-stressed concrete fabricators might have some thing of suitable dimensions in stock with "concrete capped" ends, so to speak.
Only one end would need to be cut to length.
Cost would be the factor, same as any custom job.

dann,
By 'come short' I take it you mean replicate what is already there?
If so, is 2" overhang going to be enough?
It looks wrong to me as it is.

I am doing the flat roof, that is my trade, it is asbestos sheets at the mo so changing it to 18mm decking ply.

Yes, that return wall looks like a good kick would have it over, I'll check for pillars.
Personally I think they should have narrower garage doors fitted and another course of bricks tied in well to the existing.
Bit of a nightmare.
I have to say, I'd have at least a 9" x 9" pier to support that lintel and door...

Does the parapet wall need top be there?

Can't you do away with all that masonry and then just span the opening with some timber beams and/or cradling and fascia?

noseal.
The 'flat' roof behind the wall is pitched and the parapet hides it.
So unfortunately it needs to stay (if it will).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back