Lintels in the footings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Seems that Building Control are always very keen on lintels over any pipes going through walls. That's all well and good, but what happens when the pipe is going through a footing? I've got a gas pipe about a foot down (in metre-deep footings). BCO told me to leave about an inch gap around, and put a lintel over it. Yes, I did say that it would be going through the footings!

So what's the normal procedure here guys? Cut up an off-the-shelf concrete lintel into little pieces to make 450 width? Use bricks as lintels instead? Wrap the thing in a bit of split plastic pipe? It would be nice if it were possible to get the pipe out later if needs be, so I'd like to avoid wrapping it in tape and just embedding it in the footings.

Appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
Cut a piece of 100mm drainpipe to slip over the gas pip as a sleeve. Then pack some polystyrene or foam or something to keep the gas pipe central to the sleeve

It is against gas regs to route gas pipes under structures. Because any gas leak could accumalate in the structure - and BANG. The gas pipe must be diverted to go around the structure.

Also a bad idea to run water pipes under structures as obviously impossible to rectify a leaking pipe.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back