Lintels, What oen do I need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What type of lintel should be used over a ground floor doorway in to two story solid brick pre 30s rendered wall? Standard door opening 80mm wide.
Concrete, or steel, some one of the other metal shaped ones, then what size lintel would you recommend.
I ask because the builder waffled on about not being able to put in steel because it causes concrete cancer, though how this is relevant in a brick wall has been confused. Also, as far as I'm aware, concrete cancer was caused by the sea salts not being washed from dredged gravel.
I presume padstones should be used, or are these just for steel?

Sponsored Links
Your builder seems a bit clueless, is he a proper builder? Concrete lintels have steel in them tell him!

You can use steel or concrete. Concrete will be a lot cheaper. No padstone required

Agree with Woody - concrete would be the cheaper option, assume 150mm bearing each side - assuming your doorway is actually 800mm not 80mm then your looking at about an 1100 - your merchants may only sell 1050 or 1200 which you can cut down

Sponsored Links
When I hear any 'tradesman' start to waffle on it sets alarm bells ringing. He went on about more than concrete cancer and I might not know everything about construction, but I do know a bit. So goodbye builder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back