Little Green paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So after some advice on here and some research, we are difinitely using LG intellimat on the walls.

How's about the woodwork, radiator and ceilings? Can we use the intellimat on those as well (the shirting colour which I understand is very close to white, with a flat slight grey tint). Would that work?

Sponsored Links
I'd use a cheaper paint on the ceilings as they don't really suffer from wear and tear, i use Johnstones cover plus.

You can use intellimatt on woodwork but prep has to be very good especially over gloss. It won't be the best finish either as its likely to be a bit on the ropey side i'd imagine.

Any bare spots on a radiator need to be primed to prevent rust from contact with a water based paint.

The general rule of thumb is emulsion on the walls and ceiling, eggshell/satin/gloss on woodwork and radiators. There is radiator paint which is slower in yellowing too, but the stuff stinks.

The paints are made for each job and it's been like that for years. Eggshell are more hard wearing and suitable for woodwork because you're more likely to knock into these parts, going through doors, hoovering near skirting boards etc.

Then you have emulsions for walls and ceilings. There's matt paint (which looks the best to me) but should be used wisely on a whole, not used in a room with kids, high traffic... Also it's not wipeable as a rule and marks easily so not so good in kitchens either. I learned this the hard way as I'd never used flat matt before and it sopped up any grease, and when I wiped over it trying to remove the grease, the paint came off the wall.
Then there's all sorts of various other finishes, a silk finish is ok to wipe on a whole, and kitchen paints which can be wiped without worry at all.

I would advise not painting your radiator with emulsion. It can be done of course, but personally I do not like the finish, looks 'studenty', plus it's not as hard wearing again.

I wonder if it's worth you investing in a good, general DIY book to help you start to learn these very basic things? They can be hugely informative and a real help.

Sponsored Links
The general rule of thumb is emulsion on the walls and ceiling, eggshell/satin/gloss on woodwork and radiators. There is radiator paint which is slower in yellowing too, but the stuff stinks.

The paints are made for each job and it's been like that for years. Eggshell are more hard wearing and suitable for woodwork because you're more likely to knock into these parts, going through doors, hoovering near skirting boards etc.

Then you have emulsions for walls and ceilings. There's matt paint (which looks the best to me) but should be used wisely on a whole, not used in a room with kids, high traffic... Also it's not wipeable as a rule and marks easily so not so good in kitchens either. I learned this the hard way as I'd never used flat matt before and it sopped up any grease, and when I wiped over it trying to remove the grease, the paint came off the wall.
Then there's all sorts of various other finishes, a silk finish is ok to wipe on a whole, and kitchen paints which can be wiped without worry at all.

I would advise not painting your radiator with emulsion. It can be done of course, but personally I do not like the finish, looks 'studenty', plus it's not as hard wearing again.

I wonder if it's worth you investing in a good, general DIY book to help you start to learn these very basic things? They can be hugely informative and a real help.

Thanks. I know emulsion is generally not good for wood and radiators but LG claim the intellimat will work. I was really just trying to save a few quid by using the same paint. But, now have decided to use the intellimat on the walls and the eggshell on the wood.

I agree with dcdec about ceilings in most rooms, but I would use Intellimatt on kitchen and bathroom ceilings as it's tougher and more steam-resistant than most other emulsions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back